It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

imnieve HB User
Bumpy Nails/Horizontal Nail Dents

As the title of this post suggests, I suffer from bumps/horizontal dents in my fingernails and I think I've finally found a solution to this problem. I wanted to post it so that other people suffering from this embarrassing condition can get help too.

I can't recall exactly how long I've had this problem for as I've had very sensitive skin and eczema since I was a child, but I know that it's been at least 3 years since these bumps and ridges started appearing. In my quest to solve this problem I scoured the internet looking for a cause. Many sites mentioned things like diet, iron deficiency, and even trauma to the nail bed. While these may all be causes of nail damage, none of the solutions listed on these sites did anything to restore my nails.

I finally mentioned the problem to my dermatologist last fall and she gave me a couple of free samples of a medicine called Talconex (active ingredients: calcipotriene & betamethasone dipropionate). I believe that the medication is actually intended to treat psoriasis, but my doctor mentioned that it had shown some success in treating nail problems like mine. Anyway, I received the samples in October and have been diligently applying a little bit of ointment to the base of my nails each night before bed. It takes a while to notice the difference as the damaged nails actually have to grow out, but the other day I happened to glance down and see beautiful, shiny, and (most importantly) perfectly smooth nails! Anyone suffering from this problem should see a dermatologist and ask about this medicine or something else like it. I never thought my nails would be normal again.

The Following User Says Thank You to imnieve For This Useful Post:
Karoli (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
(female)

Liz625 HB User
Re: Bumpy Nails/Horizontal Nail Dents

Thanks for the tip. I've had bumps in several of my fingers and thumbs for years and no Dr. could tell me what caused it or do anything about it. I would love to have smooth straight nails again. I will ask my Dr. about the Talconex and hope it works as well for me as it does you.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Excema can effect the nails especially if it is on the skin surrounding the nail unit. I am glad you found a solution.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
(female)

kangelo HB User

Thank you for this post. In the past few months I've noticed the dents in my thumbnails; and I have been prescribed that medicine before for itching that I have in my ear from time to time, probably a little bit of eczema, so I'll begin that now in hopes that it will help me too. Again, thanks for the tip on what works!

Closed Thread