It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Help my poor thin fingernails

My fingernails were very strong and long for the first 50 years of my life, people assumed they were acrylic when I had a manicure. I could go 5 years without a single one breaking or chipping.

My toenails were ugly, thick and yellow. About 3 years ago I went to a podiatrist and we tried a few things, cutting them short, appearex (biotin), some sort of prescription nail lacquer and then finally lamisil. The lamisil did the trick, all but two of my toenails cleared up and look good.

1. Could the lamisil have made my fingernails thin? If they get about 1/8 inch long (past the free edge) they eventually break. I can bend them down toward the inside when they get that long. OUCH.

2. The ring fingernail on my right hand is my worst problem. It is thin and has vertical ridges and has a split in the middle of the nail 1/4 inch long from the free edge down to the cuticle. Everytime I think it's grown out, I snag it on something and it splits again. It doesn't hurt anymore (at first it hurt a lot) but it snags on everything (hair, sweaters, etc).

I take a lot of vitimans now and have been taking biotin again for about 6 months. My nails are still thin. What can I do to make them thicker? How can I protect this split fingernail until it grows out? Or will it always be split like this?

Many thanks for all of your help!

SB

Last edited by SanyBelle; 03-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Help my poor thin fingernails

To begin with, your age has caught up with you where your nails are concerned. As we age, the nail plate will thin out to a certain degree because the Matrix does not develop the same amount of nail plate cells, or they are smaller and therefore thinner. The ridging you see on some of your nails is actually the rails and grooves upon which the nail plate rides forward. When the nail plate thins out and becomes naturally drier, the rails and grooves become apparent on the nail plate as ridging. Sometimes, the nail plate becomes so thin that it will split and break vertically by following one of the ridges.

Biotin is good, but it will not replace the lost natural oils and moisture in the nail plate that is lost due to the aging process. You can apply a good quality nail and cuticle oil that contains jojoba and vitamin E, such as Solar Oil by CND or Botanical Oil. Botanical Oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply and Solar Oil is available through Ulta cosmetic outlets nationwide. Drink plenty of water as well - at least 8eight 8oz glasses a day. Wear gloves whenever having your hands in water or when using any type of household cleaning solution as these will just compound the problem.

Last edited by Marti; 03-16-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have 3 nails that split that. We've had to put acrylic on two of them and a silk wrap on the third. I have my nails done every week.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Having nails applied won't stop the splitting and the overlay will make your nails even weaker because of the way the technician files the natural nail during prep for the overlay. If you ever decide to remove the nails, you will find that they are even thinner than before. Artificial nails are not a cure for what ails dried out, splitting or peeling nails. They are only a stop-gap measure.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Thanks Marti, I bought the SolorOil and am trying that! I'll try to increase my water intake. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Everytime I think it's grown out, I snag it on something and it splits again. It doesn't hurt anymore (at first it hurt a lot) but it snags on everything (hair, sweaters, etc).
Use that elastic tape (the kind you get when they take your blood) and cover it. Don't cover it all the time as Im sure that cant be good.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can try having a silk or fiberglass wrap applied to that nail to keep it from snagging, but you will always have to do this.

Closed Thread