It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

stacey2009 HB User
Fractured toe, burst nail bed, and ripped off toenail!

6 days ago my front door slammed extreemly hard and trapped by toe within it. I was in excruciating pain, when I managed to take by boot and sock off my toenail on my big toe had ripped up at the root, however, leaving the nail still attached at the free edge. I went straight to A & E and found out i had a fractured toe, burst nail bed and had ripped my toenail off. I had to have a 'Nail bed repair' to fix the problem, however they never told me much about how severe my injury is and wether my nail will ever grow back.

After reading other problems on the net I have began to feel as tho my nail will never grow back! And am worried that I completely ripped out the root of my nail, is that possible??? Would you know from the information i have given you if it will ever grow back, if so how long???? Is there anything i can do to encourage it to grow???? Please help

Thanks

Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Fractured toe, burst nail bed, and ripped off toenail!

If they re-inserted the root into the area under the cuticle, chances are that it will heal. Whenever there is trauma to the root (Matrix) where the nail plate cella are 'born', then it will temporarily stop producing cells until it heals. When the new cells emerge, they will more than likely be damaged and you may have a hump or depression in the nail plate. This should grow out and as the matrix heals, it should develop undamaged cells. Only time will tell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread