It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

lebqueen4eve HB User
how to heel my finger i slammed it in my car door

how to heel my finger i slammed it in my car door

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: how to heel my finger i slammed it in my car door

Whenever one experiences trauma to the nail, it will usually compromise the nail bed as well as the Matrix where the nail plate cells are developed. Dropping something on your nail or slamming it in a car door comes under this as well. When the Matrix experiences trauma, it may temporarily stop producing new cells until is has healed. It also may develop cells that are not 'normal'. You may see the new nail nail plate grow in with either a hump, a depression, or be split at the area of trauma. As the Matrix heals and begins to develop 'normal' cells, they will push the damaged portion forward and eventually off the free edge.

My husband smashed his thumb nail about 3 months ago and it developed a hump which has just about grown off the free edge. It can take up to 6 months for the nail plate to completely replace itself from the cuticle to free edge depending on the extent of the trauma and your genetics for nail growth. Toenails grow much slower than fingernails and a great toenail can take upwards of a year to do this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread