It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Is Lamisil safe or is another method recommended?

My husband has what I think is a toenail fungus on one of his big toes....Characterized by thickening of the nail plate (at the end), some minor yellowing, and skin like material flaking off under the nail near the front where you cut the nail. It still seems strong and isn't at risk of falling off or anything...Not even close actually. If I had to guess, I'd say the end 1/3 to 1/4 is infected.

We've tried tea oil and Vicks....Both for about 6 months or so. We've seen some improvement, but nothing worth bragging over. It seems that when he goes on antibiotics, it gets worse, but then improves after a while with these home remedies. Is this normal or just coincidence?

Lastly, is Lamisil safe and recommended or is another method preferred? He'd love to get rid of it and have healthy nails, but not sure what to do. Also, am I at risk for sharing a shower and sleeping in the same bed? He's had it for several years now, and so far I've not caught it. How does one catch it to start with?

Thanks in advance for assistance with this.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
(male)

IhateFungus HB User
Re: Is Lamisil safe or is another method recommended?

Well he can definetly try it. I've done the whole treatment and my nails were pretty bad (all of them). I had fungus nails for over 8 years and finally did LAMASIL over a year ago. It did improve my nails significantly, but never fully removed it. Out of percentages, I would have said it took 75% of the fungus off. Leaving the remaining 30% on. Now a year and half later, they seem to be coming back again. Slowly but surely.

If it's just one toenail. Forget lamasil, just go to your health provider (KAISER for me) and tell them to remove the toenail. It was easy and took 15 minutes and only cost me my co-pay ($15). I went back to work three days later and took about 2 weeks to go without bandages. But if its on other nails, I would try LAMASIL though. I never had any liver damage, according to my test that was given while on lamisil. Out of pocket for FULL Lamisil treatment was $100, not bad compared to $800 dollars in the early 2000's. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateFungus View Post

If it's just one toenail. Forget lamasil, just go to your health provider (KAISER for me) and tell them to remove the toenail. It was easy and took 15 minutes and only cost me my co-pay ($15). I went back to work three days later and took about 2 weeks to go without bandages.
Thanks for the reply. What does removing the toe nail do?

Also, did it bother you that much that you were out of work for two days? Did they share with you how they removed it? How long did it take to grow back?

Thanks much for the info,

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Fungal spores can live on contaminated surfaces such as dirty floors, dirty shower flores, in your shoes and socks. Be sure he wears socks or shower shoes when he doesn't wear his regular shoes. Also, clean the shower floor with clorox after his shower and before yours. Fungus can invade the space between the nail plate and the nail bed even if there is not a cut, tear or break to the seal surrounding the nail unit.

It can take upwards of a full year to kill all the fungal spores because they live deep witin the nail plate layers as well as deep within the soft tissues of the nail bed. Diligent application is the key as well as keeping the nails clean and dry.

True fungus is characterized by nail plate separation, nail plate yellowing, crumbling, thickening and apparent debris in the area of separation. The debris is the waste of the infection as the fungal spores 'eat' the proteins in the nail plate for food and need the moisture in the skin and nail to survive.

You may want to do a web search for Formula 3 for nail fungus. Apply as directed for a minimum of 6 months. You should see marked improvement.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
We've tried tea oil and Vicks....Both for about 6 months or so. We've seen some improvement, but nothing worth bragging over. It seems that when he goes on antibiotics, it gets worse, but then improves after a while with these home remedies. Is this normal or just coincidence?

Regards,

Ex
Fungal infections are more common and more severe with people taking antibiotics. It is no coincidence. Always take probiotics when taking antibiotics. Antibiotics not only kill bad bacteria in the body but also the good bacteria. A good quality yogurt or kefir will help when taking antibiotics. There is more helpful info on the internet.

bd

Closed Thread