It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
(male)

IhateFungus HB User
LAMASIL did not work for me. What now???

Well it's been over a year and half since I used LAMASIL (full treatment). Unfortunately it did not cure my toenail fungus. It's still there (never fully went away to begin with) and actually is slowly coming back again. It did remove most of it, but still had some left over. I actually went as far as to removing my two big toenails to regrow them. Hoping they would come back clear and those actually show sign of fungus again after coming back fresh.

This totally sucks and kills me everytime I think about it. I really wish they would find a cure for this. Im a young male that is missing out on a lot of things (anything where feet are shown).

What options do I have now? I'm contemplating of removing ALL my nails at once and cleaning the beds of them. Is that even possible? I also, live with my FATHER who has this and could care less about his feet. I think that's why its never going away, because I keep in contact with his fungus in the showers and floors. I'm moving out soon to my own place and would be in a better FUNGUS free (or sort of) environment. That's when Im thinking I should take all my nails off. Sounds extreme, but Im ready for it. No pain, No gain at this point. What do you think?

I was also thinking of removing all of them and taking another short treatment of lamasil to get rid of this fungus.

Last edited by IhateFungus; 05-25-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: LAMASIL did not work for me. What now???

There is no need to remove the nails to kill any fungus - this is way too extreme. Call come of your local nail salons and ask if they can order you a bottle of Formula 3, or do a web search for it. It WILL work, but can take from 6-12 months to kill all the funcal spores, so please follow the instructions to the 'T'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

vsmom HB User

Have you heard about laser treatment for nail fungus? I took Lamisil once and then the generic version as well with no luck. I had better luck using vinegar and Thymol than I did with the Lamisil. It is awful I know. At least women can use polish if they need to although I know its not good to. Anyway, google laser treatment and see what you come up with. I found a site that promises great results with no risk. Totally worth a shot!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
There is no need to remove the nails to kill any fungus - this is way too extreme. Call come of your local nail salons and ask if they can order you a bottle of Formula 3, or do a web search for it. It WILL work, but can take from 6-12 months to kill all the funcal spores, so please follow the instructions to the 'T'.
What if you remove the nail and use the Formula 3....Will that increase your possible success rate?

Thanks,

Ex

Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I don't see any reason to remove the entire nail plate to kill the infection. Just keep the debris cleaned out from under the nail plate where it has separated and use the Formula 3. Usually, the podiatrist will only remove the nail if the infection has progressed all the way to the cuticle area.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post

Just keep the debris cleaned out from under the nail plate where it has separated and use the Formula 3. Usually, the podiatrist will only remove the nail if the infection has progressed all the way to the cuticle area.
So, do you mean under the big toe nail, dig out the thick hard area that has area that flakes off? On my husbands big toe, it is very hard and tick under it and I guess it could be dug out with some type of digging tool. The outer edges turns kind of white and flakes off (under the nail). His nail is only infected for the last 1/4 of the nail. We'd love to get this cleared up.

Just being curious, what does removing the entire nail do when the nail is badly infected? I thought the fungus lives deep within the tissue?

Thanks,

Ex

Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fungal spores invade the space between the nail plate and the nail bed. They 'eat' the proteins of the nail plate for 'food' and live deep within the layers of the nail plate as well as deep within the soft tissue of the skin. This is why killing them is so hard. The debris under the nail is simply the waste from the infection. It is the portions of nail plate that the spores eliminate (so to speak.)

Go to your local Sally Beauty Supply and purchase a nail curette. One side will have a very tiny 'spoon' and th eother side will have a slightly larger 'spoon'. Soak his feet in very warm water to which you have added at least 1/4 cup of salt (sea salt is fine.) Soak for no less than 10 minutes and be sure the water is VERY warm. This will soften the skin, the nail plate and the debris. Begin to scrape the underside of the nail where it has lifted with the larger spon, then use thesmaler spoon to get under the edges on the sides. If the material begins to harden, soak them again until it is soft. After you have it cleaned out real good, rinse and dry his feet and the nails really well - use your blow dryer if needed to be sure all the wateris out from under the nails. (you can clean out from under the nails with the same instrument after you have cleaned it by soaking in a mixture of 10 parts water to 1 part clorox to kill any spores that may be on the instrument. Always clean it in this manner after each use to prevent spreading the infection to other nails.)

After the nails are clean and dry, apply a drop or two of Formula 3, being certain that it getsunder the lifted nail plate. Apply twice daily for a minimum of 6 months. Do a web search for Formula 3 for nails.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
(female)

vsmom HB User

marti..do you have to soak twice a day or just when the debris needs to be cleaned?

Closed Thread