It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

heidi rose HB User
nails cracking vertically

Several nails crack vertically into the nail bed. I can't cut them back any shorter, and they sometimes catch on things and tear back more.

What can I do?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: nails cracking vertically

I had one nail that kept doing that, it drove me nuts! I gave up and went back to get acrylic nail on so I would quit picking. The bad thing is, it was the acrylic nails that did the damage, well, maybe not the acrylic itself, but the nail person that did the drilling damaged the nail bed. I don't know of anything else to do but have the acrylic put on so I don't pick at it, and like you, it snagged on everything.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

A vertical split can signify permanent damage from a raised 'rail' on the nail bed itself. A swollen or raised rail can virtually push up through the entire nail plate and permanently split it into two sections. No one knows why this happens. YOu can have a silk or fiberglass wrap applied for visual effect, but the split will continue to occur. You mght also try applying a good quality anil and cuticle oil to rehydrate the nail plate.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

LauraSomebody HB User
Unhappy Re: nails cracking vertically

I need help as well. I don't wear fake nails and I keep my nails sport length. Three years ago I ran over my pinky nail longwise with a box cutter while wallpapering. It didn't hurt at all but it did make a thin line down my nail from cuticle to end. For the past three years, if my nail grows past the quick it immediately splits and splits quite deeply even into the pink skin and it is quite painful. I can clearly see the ridge that grows down the length of the nail. After reading this forum I have learned this is called a raised "rail". I try to buff it down at the cuticle so it won't promote the splitting but it never works and only makes the nail weaker. I've even brushed my nail with a coat of superglue before to harden it and while it temporarily works, it eventually cracks.

I'm frustrated and losing hope - this is not about vanity - it's about the pain when it splits and catches on things and rips down into the skin. The split is one-third over to the side of the nail (meaning it is not split equally down the middle). I'm considering seeing a professional to see if they can just remove that 1/3 portion of the nail entirely but I think this is a drastic measure and will look odd on my hand.

Is there an other alternative? Can surgery do something to that nail ridge (or rail) or to the base of the cuticle where the problem seems to occur to remedy the situation. Is nail bed surgery even common? It seems modern technology can cure the most complex ailments -- why can't they seem to fix a fingernail??

Thank you
Laura

Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
(female)

anon2239 HB User

Mine have been doing this for the last couple of years. Always had wonderful nails until we got a free nail job at work as a christmas gift. Anyway a month ago I read to soak them in 50% vinegar and 50% hydrogrn proxide. Did it for about 3 or 4 days and my nails are doing much, much better. Only started doing it 2 weeks ago. The article also said not to use any clear nail polish as some fungus grows under it. Can also use on toe nails. Worth a try. I am going to do again this weekend.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

You may have done some damage to the nail bed to cause the split. Don't buff across it as doing so will only thin it out even more. Instead of using Super Glue, go to Sally Beauty Supply and get a bottle of IBD Gel Resin (they use it for silk wraps) and a bottle of 'Hurry Up' nail glue dryer. Very lightly buff the surface of the nailwith a 240 grit buffer (also from Sally), wash you rhands to remove all traces of nail dust and dehydrate the nail plate with alcohol, letting it dry to a chalky white. Apply the resin just like you would nail polish, then spray with the Hurry Up (hold the can at least 12" away from the nail. Apply a second coat and spray. Buff to smooth the surface, wash and rinse, then apply one more even smooth coat and spray. You can reapply as needed by following the same procedure. Just be sure you never allow it to become too thick.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
(female)

Rosie Posie HB User

Hi...........I wonder if your still around since this post is old. I hope so cause I'd like to know how the vinigar and peroxide worked out for you. I'll wait a few days and see if you get this.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

1twinklegirl HB User

have you ever had a traumatic experience to damage the nail matrix(a fancy name for damage to where the nail plate grows) that could cause brittle nails and nails to split. do you wear gloves when using harsh chemicals like ammonia around the house? if you had a tramatic expierience that cannot be helped, but little things like making sure that you constantly wear moisterizer on your hands apply cuticle oil to your cuticle area& never result to overfiling a nail, or what some cheaper nail places like to call "roughing up the nail" alot of people say that acrillics are most damaging to the nail. nail wraps, gel nails, any synthetic treatment to the nail can be very damaging, but guess who's fault it is. it is the nail technicians fault. do not ever sell yourself short of any treatment just because it's cheaper to visit that place.

Closed Thread