It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Could this be a fungal growth on my big toe?

I have had a history of toe nail fungus for years and years. It used to be an ongoing problem. Then I was able to get it under control and it went into remission for lack of better words. I think it's bee 3yrs since I've had any noticeable problem. I usually got swelling, pain and then discoloration of the nail.

But this time a gray/black patch has appeared. I've been wearing polish on my nails as I have not been having any trouble. Over Memorial Day weekend, we were doing yard work. It was hot and I was wearing a pair of old tennis shoes and noticed that they were too short and pushing on both big toes. Not horribly painful but not comfortable at all. I came in, showered and redid the polish on both my fingers and toes. Fast forward 2 weeks. I took the polish off my toes and on my right toe nail beginning at the inner part of the nail edge there was this shaggy, splotchy looking patch of gray/black. To me it looks like how mold would grow on a wall or food but only under my nail.

Does it sound like I reactivated my nail infection or could I have damaged the nail from the ill fitting shoes to make a small bleed or bruise under the nail?

I really, really don't want to have to go to the doctor. I just got done with a bunch of doctor appts and doctor appts for my son - I'm sick of going to the doctor.

Thanks!!

Last edited by irisrose; 06-17-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: Could this be a fungal growth on my big toe?

I also vaguely remember setting down a large sheet of plywood that I was helping my husband carry and I may have accidentally set it down on my toe. Not slammed it that it even caused me any pain - that's why the memory is vague (this would have happened over Memorial Day weekend as well that I was wearing the ill fitting shoes). On the fringes it looks slightly purplish - but it's hard to tell through the nail.

But if it were a hematoma, wouldn't I have had pain? And can a hematoma be a splotchy spot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Hematoma can occur from most anything and yes, it would look blackish. No, it won't always be a round bruise, but will follow the 'rails and grooves' that the nail plate rides forward on, so it will have jagged edges. Be sure you keep it clean and dry so when the bruise grows forward to the free edge, nothing gets under there that can cause an infection.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Marti!

Of course I was searching on here and found scary things about melanoma. But it literally appeared within 2 weeks. Maybe less. I know I took the polish off my toe nails within one or two weeks from Memorial Day weekend. There was nothing one day and 1-2 weeks later there was a dark splotch. I thought of my nail fungus right away. But then I do remember setting down that board and it went down on my toe but not hard or slammed and I pulled my toe out from under the board, didn't lift the board. I just would assume it would hurt if it was a hematoma. Shouldn't it hurt?

I'll watch it for awhile longer and see if it moves up. If not, then I guess a doctor visit will be required. I'm trying to ignore the melanoma posts for now

Closed Thread