It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
(male)

planetx HB User
Toenail tore off

Several days ago while moving a desk it feel and ran atop my foot. No fractures, but my big toenail was ripped clean off, merely hanging on by part of the cuticle.

I went to a clinic and they pulled the nail off, it was barely on. soaked my foot and wrapped it in silvidide for 2 days. I do not see any ripped skin where the cuticle was. The cuticle may be gone, it is hard for me tell. But it litterarly just looked like someone took some pliers and pulled the nail straight off. It was in one piece when it came off.

A couple of questions:

1. Will it grow back? That doctor at the clinic said it would. My primary said no guarantees. I am a healthy 45yr old male.

2. I cannot get that silvidide off. It is like glue. Will hurt to leave on and just let it gradually come off?

I am currently soaking my toe everyday in warm soapy water, applying neosporin during the day, and unwrapping it entirely at night.

I am little worried about this as I am pretty active walker and certainly want this to grow back.

Thank you!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Toenail tore off

1. Will it grow back? That doctor at the clinic said it would. My primary said no guarantees. I am a healthy 45yr old male.

A: Maybe so, maybe not; there are no certain answers. If the root stayed intact and wasnot ripped out, then after it heals, it will produce new nail plate cells. Depending on the amount of damage, the nail plate may only grow in attached to certain parts of the nail bed, or it may grow in bumpy at first, then normal after that portion grows off the free edge.

2. I cannot get that silvidide off. It is like glue. Will hurt to leave on and just let it gradually come off?

A: Leave it on to wear off. It is there to protect the delicate tissues of the nail bed.

I am currently soaking my toe everyday in warm soapy water, applying neosporin during the day, and unwrapping it entirely at night.

A: Neosporin should only be applied if there is an active infection. Otherwise, soak it ONLY if it is painful, and then in cold water with no soap. Leaving it open at night is a good idea. Also, do not cover with a bandaid as moisture wil build up and the idea is to dry it out.

I am little worried about this as I am pretty active walker and certainly want this to grow back.

A: I wouldn't advise walking until it has healed,a nd then only if your shoes do not rub the surface of the nail bed. If they do, it can cause bleeding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
(male)

planetx HB User
Re: Toenail tore off

Thank you very much for your reply.

How would I have known if the roots got pulled out? I only saw the nail plate. I did not see any skin off--just then entire plate up to the cuticle. And of course the nail bed did bleed some though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post

A: Maybe so, maybe not; there are no certain answers. If the root stayed intact and wasnot ripped out, then after it heals, it will produce new nail plate cells. Depending on the amount of damage, the nail plate may only grow in attached to certain parts of the nail bed, or it may grow in bumpy at first, then normal after that portion grows off the free edge.

A: Leave it on to wear off. It is there to protect the delicate tissues of the nail bed.

A: Neosporin should only be applied if there is an active infection. Otherwise, soak it ONLY if it is painful, and then in cold water with no soap. Leaving it open at night is a good idea. Also, do not cover with a bandaid as moisture wil build up and the idea is to dry it out.

A: I wouldn't advise walking until it has healed,a nd then only if your shoes do not rub the surface of the nail bed. If they do, it can cause bleeding.

Closed Thread