It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

guitarmom HB User
Gel Chips Off Vertical Split Nail

Marti--

I've attempted several times to follow your advice for helping a nail that's split vertically. I've followed your instructions to the letter: remove shine with 240 grit file, wash, dry completely, wipe with alcohol, apply 5-minute gel resin, dry with Insta-dry. I also keep that thumbnail quite short, about 1/16-inch of "white."

My problem is that after about 24-36 hours, about 1/4-inch of gel chips off on each side of my fingernail. What remains pretty much mirrors the curved shape of the end of my nail.

I should mention that my nails are extrememely thin (I sometimes joke that they make paper look thick). I'm wondering if my nails are so thin that they flex, and thus break off the gel. I also use solar oil every day.

What suggestions to you have for me? Should I avoid Solar Oil on that thumbnail? Should I file the split section or trim with scissors? I'm desperate to fix this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Gel Chips Off Vertical Split Nail

If the gel resin chips off the sides, you may be applying it too close to the skin. You can apply more than one coat and try to apply some to the free edge as well to seal it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

guitarmom HB User
Re: Gel Chips Off Vertical Split Nail

Thanks. That's great advice, as I've been making sure to get the gel all the way to the edge. I'll "center" it more in the future.

As always, you know just what's going wrong. Reading your advice is a pleasure, and always of the greatest help.

Closed Thread