It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

helenm55 HB User
Question Fungal Nail Infection

I have had athletes foot for a number of years now off and on, but about 18 months ago I noticed one of my toe nails had a black line running horizontally down it and it was also raised up, then 9 monthes ago my big toe nail came off it just slowly became unattached it was a funny grey colour, now I have another nail that has gone white and it unattached from 1/2 way down, I have been to the doctors and have to send in some off my toe nail clippings. He is pretty sure it is a fungal nail infection but I have two weeks to wait for the results. He said I could either take oral antifungal medication or paint the toe nails with something but it would have to be done for a long time.
My question is which is the best method and what are the side effects of taking oral medications. Many thanks for your replys
Helenx x

Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Fungal Nail Infection

Fungal spores are very hard to kill because they live deep within the skin of ht enail bed as well as in the layers of the nail plate. Oral meds are usually prescribed only for 3 month periods. Penlac can be used for a long time without the same side effects. It can take upwards of a full year to totally kill all the spores.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

Nancy4841 HB User

Two years ago I tried Penlac under the advice from my doctor. After several months, I didn't notice any improvement. After more research, I booked in to see a Chiropodist. She told me that Penlac will work if I see her every 6 weeks where she will cut my nails and file them down. She said that filing the nail is the only effective way for Penlac to work as it needs to get down through the layers of the nail. She uses a small drummel like file hooked up to water.
I have been using Penlac this time for approximately 3 months and seeing my Chiropodist every 6 weeks for her treatment. I have been amazed at the results and I am starting to see pink nail emerging. I now look forward to next summer and finally having nice looking toe nails.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
(male)

Rio2007 HB User

I had laser treatment for my toe fungus 7/22/09. Toes look good today. Dr told me I must treat the whole foot so now I were Copper Socks, I have a special light which goes into shoes that kills all the sores and anti-fungal cream. It is very costly ($850.00) but after 15 years I made the decision to try the laser.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
(female)

helenm55 HB User

Thanks for the replies my doctor has just given me an antifungal caled Loceryl (amorolfine hydrohloride) I have to file my nails down and paint in on once a week, he said he could have given me oral medication but there is a risk of liver damage so thought I would try this first.
Will the Penlac be similar to what I am using?
How do the copper socks work,and what happens when you have laser?
Many thanks for your replies
Love Helen x x x

Last edited by helenm55; 08-29-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

Rio2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenm55 View Post
Thanks for the replies my doctor has just given me an antifungal caled Loceryl (amorolfine hydrohloride) I have to file my nails down and paint in on once a week, he said he could have given me oral medication but there is a risk of liver damage so thought I would try this first.
Will the Penlac be similar to what I am using?
How do the copper socks work,and what happens when you have laser?
Many thanks for your replies
Love Helen x x x
The laser kills the fungus under the nail with no side effects. I am not promoting laser yet because I just got the treatment in July but my nails look great so far. The socks are made with a material that the fungus cannot live in. Google copper socks.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
(male)

Rio2007 HB User

The laser did not work fork me. Now the Dr tells me there is a new laser but I have spent too much too fast.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
(male)

IhateFungus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio2007 View Post
The laser kills the fungus under the nail with no side effects. I am not promoting laser yet because I just got the treatment in July but my nails look great so far. The socks are made with a material that the fungus cannot live in. Google copper socks.
Rio whats the latest? I've been contemplating on getting this laser done. I've done Lamasil and nails looked better, but fungus never really went away. Now they are fully back and is getting me pretty desparate here. I even had the big toenails removed after the lamisil treatment, because they never looked better. Still those eventually came back and look gross again. I'm getting to the point and it sounds crazy, but I dont care. I want to retake Lamisil, in the middle of the treatment, remove ALL nails (not kidding here, LOL). Once that heals and the Lamasil treatment is over with. I want to laser my nail bed/ nail-less toes to get the skin and nailbed if that's possible. I know the laser is for contact on the toenail. I want it to hit the direct nail bed/skin. If that doesn't cure it, then nothing will. Which then, I will panic BIG TIME.....This has taken over my life in a very bad way and honestly is getting me depressed and obessively thinking/worrying I will never have toenails that I can show in public. I honestly think about these stupid toenails several times a day or anytime I see someone with sandals. It gets me down every single time!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT.......

Last edited by IhateFungus; 11-04-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
(female)

lovemymags HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenm55 View Post
I have had athletes foot for a number of years now off and on, but about 18 months ago I noticed one of my toe nails had a black line running horizontally down it and it was also raised up, then 9 monthes ago my big toe nail came off it just slowly became unattached it was a funny grey colour, now I have another nail that has gone white and it unattached from 1/2 way down, I have been to the doctors and have to send in some off my toe nail clippings. He is pretty sure it is a fungal nail infection but I have two weeks to wait for the results. He said I could either take oral antifungal medication or paint the toe nails with something but it would have to be done for a long time.
My question is which is the best method and what are the side effects of taking oral medications. Many thanks for your replys
Helenx x
I have been batteling toenail fungus for 9 months. I first noticed it on one corner of my big toe. I cut that corner off and started with all of the home remedies I found on the net: (Vicks, Vinegar, Clorox, Hydrogen Peroxide, over the counter anti-fungals, tea tree oil, etc.) Though I was very diligent, I didn't seem to be getting results so I tried a product that is not approved in the U.S. but can be obtained through a Canadian pharmacy. It is called Loceryl and is a laquer that you paint on 2 times a week ($59.00). They say it is the one product that penetrates the nail and is showing good results in Europe. I did that for 2 months and didn't notice any change, in fact, the fungus was spreading to my other toes. In my case, I could see little white lines running down my nails from the tip toward the cuticle and the tips became crumbly. I have been in a panic about it and sense that others are in the same boat. I just wanted it gone so I decided to try the laser treatment ($850) in my area. I just did it a few days ago, but it is fascinating. The laser, a pinpoint red light, goes over the nail and makes little sparks when it zaps a fungal spore. It turns out I had it on all of my toes (I was really sparking though some of the toes didn't look like they had it.) For aftercare, I was told to throw away all of my socks and buy new ones, throw away my bottom sheets if I was a stomach sleeper (I threw all of them away because they were old anyway). Keep my feet clean and dry and use a liquid anti-fungal spray on my toes and in my shoes (like for athlete's foot). I will keep you posted on my progress. They say there is a 90% success rate (hope I am not the other 10%). I was talking with the podiatrist as she was doing the procedure and this is what I learned. Fungal spores are very resiliant and the only way to really kill them is with extreme cold (colder than your freezer) oral medication works in some people or the laser. Having the fungus also stunts the growth of the nail so that is why the nail seems to grow so slowly or not at all. The spores are everwhere in the environment yet only some people become infected (due to immune system differences or system ph balances) so it might be good to try some products that boost the immune system and some natural herbal products that fight fungus and yeast from within (like Olive Leaf Extract, Cat's Claw or Biotin). I have type 2 diabetes and have not been managing that very well lately so that could be why I became suseptible. I was told that it is possible to become reinfected unless I am very good about following aftercare procedure. I thought I would use some of those original net remedies as preventatives. I learned that 50% of the population over 50 suffers from toenail fungus. I decided the laser treatment was more expensive than the oral medication but the success rate is higher and it is completely safe. They also let you make payments with no interest. If you decide to do it, shop around for a price. I found a range of $600 to $1,200. The one I picked was $850 but the podiatrist is an acquaintance so I figured I would get good follow up. Hope this helps. Arlene

Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
(male)

Rio2007 HB User

I laser did not work for me. Dr said I may have hurt toe in past. Laser is costly and like many things there is no 100% way of knowning

Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
(male)

Bob Brown HB User

I feel the same way IhateFungus. My life has changed for the worse because of this infection. I use to look forward to the summer, but I dread it. Another year of not swimming, walking barefoot on the beach or simply wearing sandals. It really depresses me so much that I won't even go outside. Nothing seems to kill it, and I'm up to my wit's end dealing with it.

I'm sorry to hear that the laser didn't work for you Rio2007. I've become use to disappointment.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
(male)

Rio2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
I feel the same way IhateFungus. My life has changed for the worse because of this infection. I use to look forward to the summer, but I dread it. Another year of not swimming, walking barefoot on the beach or simply wearing sandals. It really depresses me so much that I won't even go outside. Nothing seems to kill it, and I'm up to my wit's end dealing with it.

I'm sorry to hear that the laser didn't work for you Rio2007. I've become use to disappointment.
I still love the summer and I waer sandals that cover the toes.

Closed Thread