It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Question Hydrogen peroxide on ingrown toenail?

Is it safe to put hydrogen peroxide on an ingrown toenail that is leaking pus? I was just wondering because the nail has obviously pierced the skin and is red, won't the peroxide enter your blood stream?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

ylwfvr HB User
Re: Hydrogen peroxide on ingrown toenail?

I'm pretty sure that the amount of peroxide that could potentially enter your blood stream through a wound as tiny as an ingrown toenail would have little to no affect on your overall health. If your weary of using peroxide, try a combination of 1 part white vinegar to one part warm water. If something doesn't give within a week, I highly suggest you see a podiatrist. Some ingrown nails can be so problematic that they must be treated with oral steroids and antibiotics and/or laser or surgical removal of the excess nail and cauterization (permanent destruction) of the underlying matrix tissues. Pus is a definite indicator of infection, and fungus and staph can reek some serious havoc if left untreated. Bacitracin and Neosporin just aren't strong enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Re: Hydrogen peroxide on ingrown toenail?

Thank you. I went to the doctors today and they can't remove the side of the nail if it needs it untill the infection has gone. So I'm taking antibiotics now.

Closed Thread