It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

popprincess18 HB User
White fingers, purple fingernails!

Sometimes, especially when it's cold, my fingers and toes become numb and stark white, the nails tinted blue/purple. On rare occasions, when it's not even cold, one of my middle fingers will do the same thing. The only way I can get them back to normal is by rubbing them and running them under warm water for a while, then they start to throb and turn bright red. About a week ago it was humid and around 90F here, then the temp dropped about 15 degrees (to about 75F) and it's been that way for the past week. Well now I'm freezing at night and my hands haven't gone numb but they've been extremely cold and my nails somewhat blue/purple. And in general, throughout the year, my hands and feet are more often cold than they are warm. Does anyone know why this could be? Just as a note, I have a neurology appointment next month to check out some really bad daily headaches I've had for years and whooshing pulsatile tinnitus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: White fingers, purple fingernails!

Poor blood circulation to your extremities could be the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
Poor blood circulation to your extremities could be the cause.
Would I need to do anything about it, or is it just something I'd have to live with?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

You need to see your doctor! Circulation problems in your extremities can be dangerous.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

I've mentioned these things to my NP but she never really does anything about it. I do have a neurology appointment coming up in a couple weeks, so maybe my neurologist will. I'm going to see her about headaches and pulsatile tinnitus I have had for years. I've read that pulsatile tinnitus is usually due to vascular abnormalities, so I'm thinking these things might be related somehow.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

tbokry79 HB User

It sounds like you suffer from Raynauds syndrome. Check with your Dr., I also have it and have had it for years. There is not much that can be done for it, mainly keep your hands warm. (I know that is a given LOL) but I only wear mittens as keeping my fingers close to each other seems to help circulation. I use hand warmers and I will even wear gloves when I go into the freezer.

I hope this helps

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbokry79 View Post
It sounds like you suffer from Raynauds syndrome. Check with your Dr., I also have it and have had it for years. There is not much that can be done for it, mainly keep your hands warm. (I know that is a given LOL) but I only wear mittens as keeping my fingers close to each other seems to help circulation. I use hand warmers and I will even wear gloves when I go into the freezer.

I hope this helps
Thanks, that does help. What brand of hand warmers do you use?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
(male)

mtnbkr HB User

i would recommend soaking your fingers in warm water with some salts... to permote circulation... the cause of bluish or purple fingernails can stem from 2 things... Diabetes. and Lack of oxygen in the body. which is usually due to asthma.

My fingernails tend to turn a purplish color when my sugar levels are too high. which is because I am a type 2 diabetic which means I don't have to take insulin. I can control my sugar with diet and exercise along with a one a day pill.

My advice would be go get checked for diabetes and asthma. In most cases if diabetes if detected early enough and its type 2 it can be reversed with diet and exercise.

also if its asthma it can be kept under control with light to moderate exercise.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
(female)

home sweet home HB User

I agree with the other posts. Ido not have diabetis but do have raynauds. And yes it can be very aggrevating. If it is you will have to dress warmer and as one said wear cloves and warm socks. Yes your fingers and toes can be as white as a ghost to blueish to purple to cherry red. You can look it up on web md if you havent already. home sweet home

Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

This is called Raynaud's syndrome. You don't need a neurologist or need to think that you have a terrible problem. There are natural supplements you can take to increase circulation, like Hawthorne. Also, many times people with low thyroid (hypothyroid) will have Raynauds.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
(male)

mtnbkr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by home sweet home View Post
I agree with the other posts. Ido not have diabetis but do have raynauds. And yes it can be very aggrevating. If it is you will have to dress warmer and as one said wear cloves and warm socks. Yes your fingers and toes can be as white as a ghost to blueish to purple to cherry red. You can look it up on web md if you havent already. home sweet home
I did look it up on web MD.com thats where my answer came from

Closed Thread