It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

amanduur HB User
Exclamation EXTREMELY short nails, is there a solution to this?

Hello, I REALLY need help! x_____x;

I'm 14, and my nails are short. Not just short, REALLY REALLY short. Plus, their not all even (some look way longer than others, some look way shorter).
My nails are wide, and the white tip starts WAY before it has to start.
My pinky nails grow upward, instead of growing straight, and I don't want to end up having long nails going upward.
My friend said I should file my pinky nails down, like on the surface of the nails, but won't that make them thinner and weaker?

Why my nails are like this, your (or is it you're) wondering? I've been biting them ever since I was about 3 or 4.
I stopped several months ago, and I've been wanting them to grow out.

But how can I grow them out, even though they will eventually, when they look disgusting?!
I don't like my nails at all. If I want to get fake nails, I'm guessing I can't because their SO short.

So, here are my questions :
Will my nails eventually look normal?
How can I make them look nice, normal, and healthy?
For my pinky finger, why is the nail growing UPWARD?
Is there any products I can use to help my problem?
Is there anything I can do to make them look normal (like medical or any surgery)?

I'm 14, I know nothing about this.
Please help me, I beg you. I would appreciate it so much.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-07-2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Please do not post links to pictures or images, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
(female)

amanduur HB User
Re: EXTREMELY short nails, is there a solution to this?

No one is going to help me?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
(male)

THM HB User
Re: EXTREMELY short nails, is there a solution to this?

This is a problem for most people who've been biting their nails for a long time. What happens is the skin where you've bitten the nail is exposed to the air and changes; it becomes harder and the nail can't attach to it properly. I don't know of anything you can do about this, though if there is a remedy then hopefully someone will post to tell you about it.

Try not to get too downhearted about this. It's still much better to grow your nails than to bite them. You don't have to have them long, just neat and manicured. When they're a little longer you could put nail polish on them, which would hide the length of the nail bed. Try not to get obsessed about it, because I guarantee you notice it far more than anyone else does.

PS I'm a woman, BTW, but have to use my husband's account to post as I can't remember my password. Just thought I'd better let you know that I'm not some strange man with an interest in girls' nails! lol

Last edited by THM; 04-27-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: to explain I'm a female

Closed Thread