It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

moonangel007 HB User
Thumbs down toenail fungus/current treatment...

hi all...here's my story:

i've had issues with my left big toenail for about the last 9 years when i dropped a large heavy box on my toe and the nail was damaged. after that, maybe a year or so later, the nail which had become discolored, had completely detatched and ever since has had debris under it. i have continued to trim it and keep all of my nails as clean as possible...i never even thought about it being a fungus or anything like that, just figured it woud be disfigured and ugly forever.

it was only recently that i took off my usual dark colored nail polish (had to hide the ugly nail, right??) that i noticed that a large portion of my right big toenail was discolored and becoming detatched as well! stupidly, i just cleaned it up and repainted my nails. the polish stayed on for a couple weeks, then i decided to take some action since i knew it wasn't going away by ignoring it.

so, about a month ago, i decided to do a little looking online and decided that it would have to be a type of fungus that is taking over my nails. i did some research online on home remedies for toenail fungus, and read a considerable amount of testimonials on vinegar soak treatments, tea tree oil, vicks vapor rub, etc. i actually know first hand that vicks works because several years ago my mom used it and her nail grew out and the new nail was perfect. so, i decided to start doing my own at home regimen to see what would happen. honestly, i didn't really expect huge results, but was fairly hopeful. it has to be better than lamasil, right? lol

anyways, here's what i've been doing:

first off let me say that my family hates the smell of all of these things! lol oh well. anyways, 2 cups of vinegar mixed with probably 3-4 cups hot water...soaking at least one to 2 times a day. several times a day i apply straight up vinegar by spraying with a little spray bottle and letting it go around and under my nails, then i let it air dry, or use the blow dryer to dry between my toes and nails, then lastly i use a dropper to apply tea tree oil to my nail (over the tops and underneath). when i shower i wash my feet really well like always, but i dry them with the dryer afterward. i try to never have warm, moist feet. even when i wear tennis shoes i come straight home and take my socks off and wash my feet and dry them and reapply the vinegar/tea tree oil. i realize this isn't a miracle cure and that it will take time to work, and time afterward to be sure the fungus is really gone. but, i am a stay at home mom/student, so i apply/reapply/wash/dry/etc as many times a day as possible!!

i have been really examining my nails of course...its' hard not to!, and i do see clean, clear nail coming in at the base. the discolored part is slowly growing out, and i'm trimming away at it, slowly but surely.

my question/concern is:

just within the past couple days my nail bed on the right toe is really sore. it even hurts to walk and put too much pressure on the toe itself! i don't know if it's because i've been having to wear close toed shoes more than normal lately or what...but i'm just wondering if this is normal? the nail treatment seems to be working just fine since i can actually see a change...but why the soreness?? has anyone who's tried this type of treatment experienced anything like this? i have a big day coming up in a few days where i'm going to have to wear close toed dress shoes and i'm afraid it's going to hurt too bad! ugh.

any thoughts? thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
(female)

RoseBud333 HB User
Re: toenail fungus/current treatment...

Hi
I have been trying to cure myself of this for so many years now and have decided to just try the vinegar method again, as it is working for you please can you tell me the acetic acid percentage of the vinegar you are using?

Also the pain you have been felling I am not sure what it could be but be careful about ingrown nails as your nails grow back

Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

moonangel007 HB User

i'm not sure what the acid strength is, but i will check and get back to you on that! i will say that ever since i posted this my nails have slowly gotten better and better. they are still slightly whitish and a little splotchy, but they are attached now and are coming in perfect! i will definately be continuing the vinegar and i have full faith they will be 100% normal very soon! good luck to you as well!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
(female)

RoseBud333 HB User

Thanks moonangel,
It would really help to have that info from you as you are getting good results, if I was able to use the same, at least i would know I might have a chance of curing this one day!
What brand of vinegar do you use too?
Thank you for your reply and help!

Closed Thread