It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

asj127 HB User
Big toe nail not growing

I don't know how long it's been, possibly a month or two, since I noticed. I thought about asking at a clinic right away, but after a day or two, I wasn't sure if I'd look stupid for asking about something like this (I've ran over to ask them about a lot of other little things in the past and I know I'm a little too quick to worry).
When I first noticed it, my right big toe's nail appeared to be recently cut, while my left toe's nail (and the other ones) had grown out quite a bit (and I knew I hadn't cut them for awhile). I cut my other toenails that day, but the nails are starting to grow back now, except for this one. Before I noticed it, there was maybe a week or two where I noticed that the skin around the base of the toe was a little sore when I pushed on it, especially on the outer corner. I didn't think much of it, but after I noticed the toenail hadn't grown, I looked at it a little more closely. For all my other nails, where the skin and the nail meets, there's a thin layer of skin over the nail, but that's missing from my toe, and the skin next to the nail looks slightly humped. But the white part of the toe at the base of the nail still looks normal.
Also, at the top of the nail, there's a slightly lighter area (possibly slightly yellowish), about a fifth of an inch long. The coloration isn't very noticeable, but I can see a line that runs across the toenail in the shape of the nail, separating the two colors.
I wonder if the toenail could've gotten shoved into the skin or something, but that's probably not possible... especially since I'd think I would've felt something like that... Will the toe look normal again eventually?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

fraukuech HB User
Re: Big toe nail not growing

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

asj127 HB User
Re: Big toe nail not growing

After a few months, it started growing. Another nail is growing underneath of it and pushing the old nail up (and the new nail is looking normal so far). It's going to take awhile for it to push the old nail all the way off (it's only about a third of the way so far), but I think it'll be okay if I don't wear socks too much (hard to do during winter, though). I went to a clinic at one point, and the person said it might've just been because the socks I was wearing were too tight.
If what's going on with you is the same (which it may not be), then try not to put anything tight on it and it'll probably start growing after a few months (I forget how many it took for me). There's also a slight issue with it wanting to dig into the skin as it grows.

Last edited by asj127; 12-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Closed Thread