It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
(male)

NailObsessed HB User
Help me!

I am about to turn 30 and I have been biting my nails / picking my cuticles since i can remember. The 30 years of damage has caused my thumb nails to have loads of horizontal ridges and discoloration. Until recently it was an issue but no one ever noticed. But as I approach 30 people have begun to comment on it more. Its so embarrassing that when i am pointing at something i tend to cover my nails.

It was only about 2 weeks ago that I stumbled across the term "habit tic" and have been reading as much as possible. I know it is a problem but I can't stop! I do it without thinking! I have tried everything but nothing helps. It is beginning to drive my wife nuts but I can't stop. Besides people just stopping I can't find any decent advice on how to stop. I do not want to take any med to help...wondering if anyone has heard about alternative methods that have proved successful...PLEASE HELP.

Last edited by NailObsessed; 04-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

MommyAl HB User
Re: Help me!

Nervous tics get the name for a reason. Focus on ways to chill your nerves. Simplify and take time for yourself. Maybe exercise, gardening, yoga....try new things if you have to. If you have any emotional baggage, try a therapist or counselor to unload that stress.

When you feel the urge to pick at something, try to pick at something else instead (like the seams on fabric, shirt cuff, or a blanket's edge). It won't cure the habit, but will at least take the pressure off of your nails!

My son deals with anxiety and I have just realized that his misshapen nails are from pushing on the cuticles. I give him Valerian when he can't seem to settle down at night--that is when he deals with the habit most. My dad takes Valerian routinely to calm his nerves. It's a natural/herbal remedy. Also try to boost your intake of stress vitamins (all the Bs, but they need to be balanced and taken with sufficient Calcium to absorb).

Don't overlook the possibility of food allergies. People are finding that eliminating certain foods from their diets relieves their anxiety, depression, attention problems, etc. I have nephews who would really struggle with nervous tics (along with other not-so-obvious problems) when they ate food they shouldn't.

If you find yourself picking at certain times and places, try to alter those circumstances. Maybe try wrapping a band-aid around the nails, or putting nasty tasting nail polish remover where you tend to bite.

Good luck! Whatever changes you make to conquer this will likely improve your overall quality of life. It is so worth your efforts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Help me!

hi there, have you ever tried putting something unpleasant tasting on there in the morning after the bath and after hand washing? Maybe cayenne pepper tea or something bitter like roma or a bitter herb which is safe to remind you.

Closed Thread