It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
(male)

Alex_R HB User
Brown spot on/under nail? please help

Hi, i have a small brown spot on my big toenail it has been there for more than a year, i always thought it was nothing to worry about. As it hasnt gone yet, i decided to visit a doctor with the concern that it could be skin cancer. The doctor took a brief look at the nail, not even closely, and immediatley said "this is just a discolouration of the nail, i cant treat it, but it isnt a bruise or fungus just a simple discolouration" it seemed like it was something he had seen before and wasnt remotley concerned about. I must admit i didnt tell him exactly what i was concerned about, just said i have a brown spot i want looked at. And now i am having doubts The spot doesnt run from the base to the tip of the nail, it is actually ACROSS the nail (side to side) and is only 5mm in length and 1mm wide, and a tan brown colour. I havent noticed any growth or change in the whole time ive had it, and certainly not in the past month since i visited the doctor (i have been looking more closely since then.) I do tend to be a bit paranoid about my health and jumping to the worst conclusions, but i cant see any explanation as to what this could be, and the doctors explanation didnt sound that sensible either really Im hoping the fact that it hasnt grown or changed is a good sign???? Maybe i just need to trust doctors? Let me know what you think please! by the way im 22 and a white male.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

clover86 HB User
Re: Brown spot on/under nail? please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_R View Post
Hi, i have a small brown spot on my big toenail it has been there for more than a year, i always thought it was nothing to worry about. As it hasnt gone yet, i decided to visit a doctor with the concern that it could be skin cancer. The doctor took a brief look at the nail, not even closely, and immediatley said "this is just a discolouration of the nail, i cant treat it, but it isnt a bruise or fungus just a simple discolouration" it seemed like it was something he had seen before and wasnt remotley concerned about. I must admit i didnt tell him exactly what i was concerned about, just said i have a brown spot i want looked at. And now i am having doubts The spot doesnt run from the base to the tip of the nail, it is actually ACROSS the nail (side to side) and is only 5mm in length and 1mm wide, and a tan brown colour. I havent noticed any growth or change in the whole time ive had it, and certainly not in the past month since i visited the doctor (i have been looking more closely since then.) I do tend to be a bit paranoid about my health and jumping to the worst conclusions, but i cant see any explanation as to what this could be, and the doctors explanation didnt sound that sensible either really Im hoping the fact that it hasnt grown or changed is a good sign???? Maybe i just need to trust doctors? Let me know what you think please! by the way im 22 and a white male.
Look into Terrys nails.

Closed Thread