It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
(male)

SenialBrian HB User
Exclamation Holes in my nails

Hi i've been having this problem for the past 2-3 years now and i cant figure out why and my doctor kinda just ignores it when i bring it up.

So what it is, is that i used to chew my nails and i stopped doing that for a long time because everyone told me it was bad for them, so i did; and after a few months or so my nails looked great! Like they should have in the first place, but then (roughly) a month after that a circular hole appeared in them (towards the back where the skin meets the nail). At first I thought well maybe i stabbed it with something by accident so I let it be, however as a few weeks went by more and more appeared on different nails. They spread and make the top layer of the nail a dead shell that is separate of the bottom layer. It stops growing if i cut the dead part off and file it but by that time its already ugly and nasty looking.

When i say alot i mean 4-5 of the same holes on different fingers. I dont really mind so much that i have them, but more that no one seems to help me figure out what they are or f they can really be hurting my nails.

Thanks for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

Nazzy HB User
Re: Holes in my nails

Hello,

I'm not sure if you are still looking for an answer, but I think I know why you have holes in your nails. A year ago, I had this same problem and went to the doctor about it. She told me that your nails develop holes when you have extremely low levels of iron in your blood, or are severely anemic. I then started taking iron supplements twice a day and in a few weeks my nails were back to normal. You should do a blood test and check your iron level.

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread