It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2002, 09:22 PM   #1

debiR HB User
red line in each nail

Every nail bed has a thin red line running side to side about 1/2 way in from the nail. Does this have any meaning? I noticed it the last two days on my toddler.
He has had 5 days of off and on 104+ fevers with no other symptoms but now seems to be developing a cough. He is very irritable and lethargic and all the doctor told me was it looked "viral" and "lympocytes"(sp) are high-from his lab work.

I just find it odd and cannot locate much online to tell me if these lines are symptomatic of a virus or the body fighting off anything. I am open to ANY ideas or suggestions or possible reasons for these lines.
I cannot think of any way to describe them except when you bend your nail all the way back (ouch) and that red line that runs along where the nail bent back on itself-every nail is like that.
please
any ideas<p>[This message has been edited by debiR (edited 07-31-2002).]

Old 08-01-2002, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: red line in each nail

Is it just a reddish line, or is the nail plate reddish behind the line close to the cuticle, and the part of the plate toward the free edge is whiter than normal?

Is the nail plate depressed where the line is?

Is there any way you can take a digital picture and send it to me? You might also check out my website for nail diseases - there are also links at the bottom of the page to toher nail sites for diseases and disorders: <A HREF="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hooked-on-nails.com</A> (approved link by Moderator 1)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

OK, the only thing I can find on the net (and this is from some lecture notes) was that a horizontal line could be caused by high fever. If it doesn't go away after awhile, you might want to see the doctor again, but from what I read, the line should diminish as the fever goes down. And yes, all the nails can be affected in this manner.

Old 08-01-2002, 07:56 PM   #4

debiR HB User

My camera wont get close enough. I did look on the link you posted and the closest thing is those beau lines. That is where they are located on his fingers except they are red. The nail bed is a deep pink/red and then this darker red line runs across the nail the way the beau lines does. There is no indentation in the nail itself like the beau lines though-it is smooth from cuticle to end-all this is going on underneath.
On your finding the lecture notes....
Thank you so much for finding that! I bet that is what it is, a few days of 104.5+ his dr called "high". I was looking late last night and could not find a reference to a red line at all and I was beginning to think I was off my rocker a bit. Thank you again!<p>[This message has been edited by debiR (edited 08-01-2002).]

Old 08-01-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I didn't think it was Beau's lines, but that would at least give me a 'picture' of the way the line was actually running. According to the lecture notes, the lines should dissappear/diminish as he gets better. Good thing I like to research before I answer, huh?

Closed Thread