HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Nail Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/)
-   -   horizontal grooves in thumbnails? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/834847-horizontal-grooves-thumbnails.html)

sarshcfran 02-08-2011 11:58 AM

horizontal grooves in thumbnails?

2 Attachment(s)
my thumbnails are kinda curvy...its weird. should i be worried? i took some pictures so you can see

SnowBunny2020 02-08-2011 12:41 PM

Re: horizontal grooves in thumbnails?

Damaged cuticles will cause what I think you are describing.

CaringMom 02-10-2011 11:15 AM

Hi, I have this too. I do not know what causes this. I have it ever so slightly on some of my other finger nails, too, but mainly on my thumbs. I use a buffer to really smooth them. It's just a temporary fix though.
Some research I've read suggests a lack of something or other in the body to injuries or something really wrong. Hopefully it is just damage to the cuticle; but wouldn't it heal over time?

Lillee5 03-26-2011 12:25 PM

I have this problem I was told that it is due to the fact that I have Raynauds Disease. However if you can it wouldn't hurt have a few blood tests taken.
1. Check for anemia
2. Vit D, folate, & B12
these are the bloodtest my doctor ran when I went to the doctor
It is called Koilonychia (spoon nails) spooning is the worse it gets and that is where the edge of the nails curls up but it also causes flattening of the nail bed
Depending on your health I would suggest seeing a doctor just to rule anything bad out.

Smilechild8 04-04-2011 08:17 PM

I've heard that the grooves are signs of being sick/having health problem/stressed.

Kali333 04-04-2011 08:22 PM

I've got vertical grooves. The doctor said it was normal as we age.
Not sure about horizontal ones.

Lillee5 04-04-2011 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=Smilechild8;4723305]I've heard that the grooves are signs of being sick/having health problem/stressed.[/QUOTE]

Horizontal Grooves are usually a lot more serious than vertical ones. It should always be checked by a doctor
Vertical grooves can happen just from age or dry cuticles usually not horizonal ones though I hope you can figure out why it is being caused.

koticgood 04-13-2011 10:41 AM

I have met two other people that have this same condition that you and I do. The thing the two people and I had in common is that we both either chewed or picked our cuticles. This + the reply above saying it is caused by damaged cuticles confirms it.

Lillee5 04-13-2011 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=koticgood;4729587]I have met two other people that have this same condition that you and I do. The thing the two people and I had in common is that we both either chewed or picked our cuticles. This + the reply above saying it is caused by damaged cuticles confirms it.[/QUOTE]

You are right it is caused by damage to the cuticle but just please know that systemic diseases such as scleroderma and lupus can damage your cuticles and create this problem. As well I take great care of my nails I just found that this last month i have blood droplets in my cuticles they did a test and my nail fold blood capillariries are very abnormal

So depends on the person if you chew or pick you fingernails expect things may happen if you don't like me i would be concerned
if any one is concerned see a doctor