It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
(male)

Raschi HB User
Nail reveals bigger isssues?-help

Hi, Well I need help. I am 23 years old and since 8 years of age I have ben diagnosed with chronic eczema. But I found at in my adult years that all dermotologists do is prescribe expensive cremes, ointments and steroids. Why? Because they have no damn clue what is wrong.

I get rashing, cracking, ashy skin, dry skin, scaling skin, cuticle loss, soreness, rawness of the skin and inflimation. I am trying to seek info on my nails. As I have talked with many people who have eczema issues and none have had issues with the nails, and recently I have ben learning that the nails could be the answer to certain medical issues.

My nails lose the cuticles often on almost every finger except the thumbes and somtimes the index finger and middle finger. My nails, they get ridges vertically, somtimes light ridges somtimes Rough raised ridges. And at other times indented ridges. They get ridges moving across, mainly on the toes but also the finger nails. They get divets, circular(small) indents, raised ripples, indented rivets and raised rivets. And they get these all at the same time. IS there any way to tell what is going on? I really do not think it is eczema but something else. I have no money, and am unemployed and cannot keep draining what money I do not have anymore to fight the so called "eczema".

Is there some one here with expertiese on nails that can give some insight? Is it a deficiencie? A lack of? Too much of or not enough? An allegie? What is going on?
I have had this stuff bad enough at times where my hands go numb and are so cracked and dry that I can not even use them. So I need to find an answer..

Last edited by Raschi; 02-22-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
(female)

kytten HB User
Re: Nail reveals bigger isssues?-help

First of all, are you using any kind of lotion or moisturizer for your skin? Cause, it sounds like you need it! I realize money is tight, so you can't go out and spend a fortune on the deep moisture with oil stuff... but, you need to do something. If only to use the cheap stuff several times a day. Also, mineral oil - relatively cheap. Apply some to your hands, and put some gloves on for an hour or so. Really good for the skin AND nails... since nails need moisture too.

Secondly, you might be having circulation issues. I can't diagnose you, I'm not a doctor, but I can suggest that you do some wrist strengthening exercises. I know, seems strange for circulation, but what sometimes happens is if the muscles in your wrists are weak or loose in any way, shape or form, then the bones and ligaments can shift, causing your circulation to run poorly, or sometimes not a tall... hence, numbness perhaps? Easy trick! Grab a small rubber ball... racket ball is usually a good size. Then, you grip it tight, hold it for ten, release, repeat... you wanna do three sets of ten. Then, you grip it, and while holding it, you rotate your wrist in circles... first set clockwise, second set, counter clockwise, third set just up and down. Boring, but effective! No more wrist splints for me!

And, it also sounds like you need to take some vitamins or adjust your diet or something. Cause if you're not getting what you need... problems. If you're getting too much of certain things, MORE problems. But, I would suggest you look into Omega 3, Flaxseed, Vitamin B12, and Calcium. There are places all over that you can call and talk to someone like a register nurse and ask general questions without seeing a doctor or paying a fee.

There's my two cents... don't spend it all in one place.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
(male)

illius HB User

Thank you for the reply. I do use moisterizers, my daily routine consists 3-4 times a day I use a mixture of lotion, aloe vera gel, neosporin and coconut oil. Even then my hands dry out 5-10 minutes later. I have to put aloe gel on my face or else my face will start to get patches of dry skin on it, the same with my feet and my legs, arms etc. I do streangthen my hands when I can, right now the sides of my palms on the pinkies are so cracked I can barely flex them at times, and they have swollen a good amount. So I end up waking up a few times during the night and have to move my fingers because they go numb, like your hand fell asleep but you where not lying on it.

It is not as bad as when my entire hands where consumed by this stuff, thats when my hands would go numb and it would take about 5 minutes to work them back to having feeling in them. Well, vitamins are a little expensive right now, im looking at a good $5-7 a bottle. So I will have to get them when I have the chance, I have taken vitamins before with little effect. So I do not know. Money is the issue, people would rather let you rot then help you unless you had money to give them.

If I had the funds I would get a biopsy, allergie tests, and have them look for any kind of deficiency they could find in the body. But allergie tests alone run around $500-800, a biopsy runs close to a grand, and I do not even know what to call tests they do fro deficiencys. There was one creme I found out of all my years, which cleared my "eczema" up about 97%, my nails where still messed up, but my hands where clear. But it runs about 25 for two small little containers(you have to use them together). I asked the makers what was in it, as they claimed it was all natrual and never got a response back. It is made in maylaysha, and had acted very much like topical steroids so I stop using it due to this fact.

But Im think when I get a little money maybe I will buy another one, just to have a small time of releif from this stuff. But the fact still remains, something inside my body is sick causing my skin to react/nails. If I can only find out what it is, and treat it then I am sure my skin would clear up. But who knows what it is.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-22-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
(male)

illius HB User

One of my last flare ups a while ago. Pictures are attached, I could not not get to good of a pic of my nails back then, but you can see it. I have had staff infection twice from this stuff in the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0546.jpg (83.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0532.jpg (94.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0599.jpg (80.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by illius; 02-24-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

kytten HB User

I know this is going to sound odd, but my brother as a teen was put on some medicine that dried out his skin really bad. The doctor told him that before he got in the shower, to rub himself down with baby oil... massage it in good. Just not the bottom of your feet or you'll slip! Then, when he got out of the shower, to moisturize his entire body with... Crisco. He was so embarrassed I wasn't able to talk to anyone about it and had forgotten about it until just now. Something worth trying?

Closed Thread