It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
(male)

canadian13 HB User
toe nail fungus - VERY PAINFUL!!! - please help!

i think i have onychomycosis on my big toe nail. i've had it for years. happened 15 years ago when the nail was injured (it tore off!). the nail slowly grew back, has always been kinda yellowish, the nail has barely grown over the past few years and has been chalky and white/yellowish ... but it was never painful until a couple days ago it started to hurt, now it's on fire! i took tylenol 3 but it still kills! last night i woke up in the middle of the night and had to take an ibuprofen. its worse this evening and i'm dreading that i won't even be able to fall asleep.

please help!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
(male)

canadian13 HB User
Re: toe nail fungus - VERY PAINFUL!!! - please help!

had to go into the ER. big toe is throbbing & red & swollen. the pain was so intense that i thought i had broken the toe somehow... doc said it was an ingrown nail on the big toe (which has had mild fungus for 15 years but never pain). prescribed antibiotics (keflex 500mg for 7 days) and recommended soaking big toe in hot water with epsom salts 3 times a day. they gave me strong narcotics to sleep. i only got 2 hrs of sleep last night. it's really painful.

is there anything else i can do?

vick's vapor rub (for the thymol)? oil of oregeno? tea tree oil? soak foot in hot water & apple cider vinegar? soak foot in listerine?

he said if the soaking doesn't work than i might have to return and have it frozen and have part of the ingrown toenail removed. i don't want to endure this pain for another week! it's still painful & throbbing!

Last edited by canadian13; 04-14-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread