It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
(male)

adalcard HB User
Black and blue toenail won't fall off

Hi there. I bumped my toe about a week and a half ago, and it turned black and blue. However, since it was only the bottom of the toe, it has not fallen off. So basically I believe the nail has separated from the nail bed only on the side and bottom of the nail. Today I was cleaning my nail (with the sharp pointy stick for cleaning stuff out from under your nails, and I dug a little too deep, and some water and blood came out (the blood could have been from me poking myself with the pointy cleaning stick, but I'm not sure). I am worried that now the nail bruise is not sterile, and I could now get an infection. What should I do? Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Black and blue toenail won't fall off

A black and blue nail IS a pool of blood under the nail. Apparently you released it by poking. If you release the blood soon enough after the injury, it's actually possible to save the nail, but a week and a half is usually too late.

Leave it alone and wait. This is the nail on your big toe? Then it'll take a long time, months, for a new nail to grow in underneath. But one day it will, and your dead nail will fall off, and then you will have a healthy toenail again.

To prevent infection from getting under there, wear clean dry socks and don't go barefoot in public locker rooms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread