It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

xleax HB User
Toe nail gone funny

Hi

half of my big toenail discoloured quite a while ago, it came loose on its own and eventually i took it off, most of the toe nail came off apart from atleast a quarter of it in the bottom left corner, the colouring on that bit seems okay, however that little bit has not seemed to have grown (and is completely attatched), the other side at the bottom is coming through quite fast but still discoloured and kind of up and outwards, not attatched if that makes sense?

is there anything i could do to make it all grow back healthy? would it be best if i got the whole nail taken off?

I'll also mention when i was a child my nail came off (cannot remember if it was the same one) and it grew back completly fine but from what i can remember the whole nail came off.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Leanne

Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Toe nail gone funny

Okay, you probably had a black toenail, maybe from dropping something on your foot. When you get a black toenail, the nail separates from the bed. Basically, it dies. But it usually hangs on by the corners for a few weeks or months until a new nail begins to grow in underneath.

It sounds like only part of the old nail came off. The part you see growing is the new, live nail, but the corner that's not growing is a remaining piece of the dead nail.

The remaining old nail should fall off on its own once the new nail gets big enough to push it out, like a permanent tooth pushing out a baby tooth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

oldhammi HB User
Re: Toe nail gone funny

Sounds like nail fungus. Oral medication works slowly, see your doctor.

Closed Thread