It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
took acrylic nails off myself

just wondering, aside from patience...
if there is any faster way to restore my nails to a healthier
looking state? grow faster?
What about home remedies?
I take a daily multi-vitamin.
I file and smooth the nails like every couple days.
After I shower, I push down the cuticles and use a
moisturizing lotion.
I don't see any fungus (dark spots or white)
but twice a week I put anti fungus agent for nails on each nail.
They are pretty short. Sometimes they chip and hurt.
It has been about a month already.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User
Re: took acrylic nails off myself

First, that was a bad thing to do. The glue is there to keep those on, and it's very bad for your nails to pull it off. It causes a lot of damage and can pull the nail off your finger, whether the whole thing or in spots - those spots can become infected and you could lose the nail.

Second, do -not- file your nail beds at all. The edges are the only places you should be using a file. You don't need to do it every few days unless you break your nails. You're scratching away the protective layer that your nails have naturally, and it can prevent them from growing and leave them more susceptible to infection.

You should get a polish that helps your nails. There's many out there that protect your nails and encourage growth, the best I've found is Sally Hansen products. They're a bit more than normal nail polish in price, but they have a huge selection of products to help. Just choose the one that you feel will help you best, whether you want tea tree oil or diamond or anything else.

Do not push your cuticles down constantly! You should have a manicure done in a salon, and don't try to trim your cuticles or nails yourself ( unless you have a break ). You can actually cause an infection if you push them all the time, and damage your nail beds with the stick as well.

The moisturizing lotion is good, but you should be using a cuticle cream instead. It's specially made for that area, which is very thin and sensitive.

Don't worry so much about how your nails look with overgrown cuticles and all that, because they will eventually grow out and be healthy. Stick with the anti-fungal and get a treatment polish - usually you put it on every day for a week before removing it. It's worth it to get a manicure to help your nails and protect them, since nail polish can put a barrier between your nails and whatever you get your hands into. Don't be cheap about the manicure, or you could end up with more problems. You absolutely should not get false nails while your real nails are healing and growing, it will cause more damage and prevent growth. If you have to have them nice for an event or something, get tips if possible, or use temporary nails which are okay to pull ( gently! ) off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sachimi For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (01-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachimi View Post

Do not push your cuticles down constantly! You should have a manicure done in a salon, and don't try to trim your cuticles or nails yourself ( unless you have a break ). You can actually cause an infection if you push them all the time, and damage your nail beds with the stick as well.

The moisturizing lotion is good, but you should be using a cuticle cream instead. It's specially made for that area, which is very thin and sensitive.

Don't worry so much about how your nails look with overgrown cuticles and all that, because they will eventually grow out and be healthy. Stick with the anti-fungal and get a treatment polish - usually you put it on every day for a week before removing it. It's worth it to get a manicure to help your nails and protect them, since nail polish can put a barrier between your nails and whatever you get your hands into. Don't be cheap about the manicure, or you could end up with more problems.
Excellent advice! thanks so much! I had a feeling I could be making things worse.... I'm glad some things I am doing is ok too.
I am looking forward to applying these good ideas.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

Good luck! I myself used to bite my nails and end up with the same problem - broken, unhealthy nails. I used one of those nail treatment polishes for like 6 months and finally got my nails looking nice. I keep them pretty long now.

Reply Reply