HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Nail Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/)
-   -   Need a little help here please...well probably more but...we will start with this!!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/892401-need-little-help-here-please-well-probably-more-but-we-will-start.html)

monkey5 03-08-2012 08:29 PM

Need a little help here please...well probably more but...we will start with this!!!

Hope all is well but I have a problem and not sure where to turn cause I have a great Dr. but I feel lost and I don't want him to start thinking i'm a hypochondriac if he doesn't probably already think so!!! I noticed that I have this like pitting/indenting in my nails, so far in my thumbnails recently. I told him and showed him at my last appt. that I was at for getting checked for a women infection I have had that wont go away and I am on my third set of antibiotic with but that aside because thats for a different thread. Anyhow I have had weight loss, can't gain weight no matter how much I eat used to be 143 now 115 pretty steady for months and feels sick, nausea and tired no energy alot. So...he did blood work to check my iron and which I thought was a good place to start because as I looked it up before the appt it said low iron can cause this, meantime my mom had said cancer can too:( Okay today I talked to the Nurse cause I hadnt heard anything and she said I should be getting something but yet the blood work was fine and today i got the results via mail and yes it was fine! Okay so...where do I go from here? I know this is not right? Someone please advise me what they might do please???
Thanks a bunch!!!

SweetPeainSF 03-08-2012 11:30 PM

Re: Need a little help here please...well probably more but...we will start with this

Nail problems can be indicative of many underlying problems. Some doctors will start an examination by looking at your hands and nails. I don't what pitting signifies, but I have often had white marks on my nails that coincide with the timing of surgeries or significant illnesses.

Those things being said, I would go back to the doctor for a full report as to what the blood tests ruled out and what your next step might be. Your significant weight loss is remarkable and disconcerting, alone. Make sure he is aware that you have not been trying to lose weight.

Remember that excessive stress can cause health problems, too, so don't let an off-hand remark or layperson's "diagnosis" rattle you too much. Just keep pushing for a medical answer.

monkey5 03-09-2012 03:53 AM

Re: Need a little help here please...well probably more but...we will start with this

sweat pea, thanks so much for your reply:) my family has been very worried about the weight loss as well and like you stated keep pushing for answers because they also say I do not look healthy ect. One thing I am glad for like I said is that my Dr. said he would start there but yet didnt say where we would go from there so not sure what his next step would be! I just know there has to be a reason and if it was concerning to my mom she wouldnt have said anything. You know moms...they would ithier say oh geesh thats nothing to worry about or oh my...you better get that checked out!!!
monkey

lazydaizy87 08-22-2012 10:37 AM

Hi monkey5,
Do you pick or rub your cuticles? I had horribly ridged, indented thumbnails for as long as I can remember. I finally read about "habit tic deformity" and once I stopped touching the cuticles on my thumbs (it was hard!) the nails grew out flat, normal and strong. You might not even realize you are picking at them (I didn't!) and it can be worsened by stress.