It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

mademusic HB User
fingernail growing back after removal by doctor

Hello, I am hoping to find some encouraging answers here. This has been a very worrysome and frustrating injury for me to deal with:
December 2 last year i broke my ring finger and the bone popped the nail up (near the cuticle) so the doctor thought she should remove it and did. Little did I know the nail growing back would be the hardest part. The bone has healed fine and mallet finger from the break also has healed after being in a splint for the first 6 weeks. The doctor told me the nail should grow back normal in about 6 months. It has been 5 months and it doesnt seem to be doing well. It has grown about 1/4 of the way across the whole nail, but more on the sides, with the left side much further along.
I guess I am looking for encouraging information from someone that has gone through something similar and tips on what i can do to help it. I have recently been applying nail growth applicators ordered off amazon. They don't seem to be doing anything so I don't know if I should use them or leave it dry.
I'm done going to follow up doctor visits and waiting an hour to see the doctor for 2 minutes and having to ask him questions as he is walking out the door and paying $300 for it.
Here are a couple pictures of what it looks like now:
http://i44.tinypic.com/10p0uu9.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/jpagpu.jpg
(may have to copy/paste, not sure how this site works)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is really bringing me down. Any other information needed, let me know. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: fingernail growing back after removal by doctor

Sometimes when a fingernail grows back after trauma, it looks very uneven. When I lost a nail, the new one looked all mutated at first! That's OK, it usually starts to look better as it grows longer. My bashed finger looked totally normal in, I think, less than a year. If it goes a full month with no growth at all, then as the doctor. For now, just leave it alone, and keep it clean.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
mademusic (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
(male)

mademusic HB User

It is harder for me to tell if it is growing because i see it every day. I have started to take pictures to monitor progress.
I am really trying to avoid going back to the doctor because i always get the same responses: "it's perfectly normal" or "time will tell" and that's like $100 per word.
I kinda figured since it was growing the width of my nail it will eventually grow all the way out but it really seems to have slowed down if not stopped.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
(female)

samto HB User

How are you doing now?Is your nail growing better?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
(male)

mademusic HB User

Thanks for the inquiry! It is still a frustrating process.
Ironic, i just saw a dermatoligist about it today. Didn't get much out of him. It's grown back most of the way down the sides but there is a sliver like gap in the middle. He wasn't sure if that would grow in. Here is an updated picture.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2aiknzc.jpg

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, it looks nearly normal near the base, so it might grow straight in time. I hope it does. At least you have some kind of nail, now, to protect the finger.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
mademusic (08-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
mademusic (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
(female)

samto HB User

Wow, your picture really helps. I'm not sure how painful it is - hopefully it's just looks. I've been told that if it's cosmetic, you can have the nail removed (if you know it won't get better over time) and see a nail tech for a fake nail, even for men, it works. But if you're in pain, they should take it out anyway and you could do the same.

I think what's more frustrating about these situations is the lack of proper communication from doctors. What I mean is, you're not the first person they've seen with this problem and they should easily be able to tell you what's going to happen later and what your options are. Then you don't have to worry because when it happens, you know it was a possibility.

They don't tell you more than you ask, but if you can't anticipate the problems...then what? You end up back in their office wasting money and time. They do it for liability and forget along the way that they're supposed to help their patients.

i'm sorry there hasn't been a better resolution to your finger. I hope you feel better down the road.

The following user gives a hug of support to samto:
mademusic (08-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to samto For This Useful Post:
mademusic (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
(male)

mademusic HB User

Thank you for the kind replies. You guys are better than doctors!
Anyway, I was hoping because it did form all the way across near the base that it would eventually grow back semi-normal. It is just growing so slowly, if at all.
There is no pain involved with it but it is obviously thinner than all of my other nails.
I have definitely learned not to take fingernails for granted.
I figure to give it another year or so and see what happens.
I wonder what that surgery would cost and if insurance would cover any of it?
I couldn't find much info online in my brief search.
Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
(male)

rookmon92 HB User

Hello - I have nearly the exact same problem as you do, and it looks extremely similar to my nail. Your newest update looks like the nail has seriously made some progress. Basically what happened with mine was that there was a white space near the cuticle and i picked at it and eventually picked the nail away, just with one nail though. How did you get it to grow back? Here's the picture:
http://tinypic.com/r/256a7u8/6
Not great quality, but the sides seem to be growing out but so much so that they're almost bendable because they're not attaching to my actual finger. I think I'm going to start wearing bandaids during the day so it doesn't bother me, but it gets wet a lot and I think that's preventing growth. Please help!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
(male)

mademusic HB User

It has been just over a year for mine now. The whole nail came in at the bottom but after about an 1/8 or so of the way the middle stopped growing and still hasnt. I broke a bone which popped the nail up and the doctor removed the nail telling me it would grow back normal. There seems to be a scar of sorts in the middle of the nail underneath so I assume that is damaged or something and that is why it is not growing. I am still hoping it will but after a year it's hard to be optimistic anymore. So the sides grow in towards the middle since there is nothing to push them out to the natural way of growing. I wonder if there are fake nail alternatives or something? I know it could be worse but the appearance of it really bothers me.
Here are a couple of updated pictures:

http://i45.tinypic.com/20ra5vb.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/20ra5vb.jpg

and:
http://i47.tinypic.com/x6fpk.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/x6fpk.jpg

Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #11
(female)

Alexa456 HB User

Hi RookMon92, how is you nail? I'm having the exact problem as you and it's very frustrating, could you reply back as quick as possible? How's the nail looking now? Is the root destroyed and won't grow back or has it healed?

Would be very glad and thankful if you could help!!

Thanks!

Reply Reply