It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

mysteriousmilli HB User
Nail after acrylics

Hi

I have had acrylics for a few years now, recently taken them off and was horrified to see the awful state my nails were in. The beds were thin, week and very red. I have kept them covered up with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails but this week have changed to Nail Tek Foundation II (1 coat) followed by 1 coat of the Intensive Therapy and I use those two as my base coat, I am also rubbing in Sally Hansen Cuticle Massage cream into my cuticles every night now.

I just have a couple of questions, instead of the Sally Hansen cuticle cream should I use Vitamin E oil (it has added wheatgerm oil in) instead every night?

Also doest this routine sound sensible and am I on the right track. The reason I had acrylics was because, although I can grow my nails quite quickly, several of them - the free edge grows inwards - I will want to have long strong healthy natural nails. But the way some of the grow made it impossible - is there anything I can do about that?

I have been keeping them short but during the summer months want to try to grow them again.

Any help gratefully received

Last edited by mysteriousmilli; 04-23-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Nail after acrylics

Hello mysteriousmilli,

I haven't tried Vitamin E oil but something my doctor recommended me to strengthen my nails is to take calcium supplements. The daily amount of the supplement he suggested was 1,200 mg of calcium along with 1,000 iu of Vitamin D.

I've had a few bouts of toenail fungus, which besides discoloration, also makes my toenails brittle. Since the fungus has cleared up, and after taking the calcium supplements for a few months, I can notice a difference with the length and health of my nails.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

mysteriousmilli HB User
Re: Nail after acrylics

Thank you, I'll give that a go

Reply Reply