It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

Kneeko86 HB User
Fungal Infected Nails Fell Off

I've had nail fungus for over 10 years. It's been pretty severe, but since I've been either pregnant or breastfeeding, I never treated it. Well, my son brought home hand, foot and mouth disease last month and my nails have since fallen off (a possible side effect of hfmd). As the nails completely detached from below the cuticle, I'm wondering if the fungus is gone? Is there anything I can do since I'm newly "nail-less" to clear up the infection or am I destined for it to come back? Thanks for any help or info you can provide!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Fungal Infected Nails Fell Off

Hello Kneeko86,

I would be skeptical about the fungus being gone. I've treated my toenail fungus with Lamsil and it's been a recurring problem even after the fungus has been gone for several months or more.

There's over the counter topical treatments you can get to treat toenail fungus or you can go to the doctor for a prescription. The topical treatments have partially worked, but taking Lamsil orally has been the most effective treatment for me. Lamsil can be hard on the liver though.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
Kneeko86 (06-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

Kneeko86 HB User

bummer. i was hopeful... i figured since they completely fell off from the root, there might be a chance. now i'm not sure if the nail-less look is better than the nail polished nasty toe nail look! lol

thanks! i suppose i'll just wait until treatment won't affect anyone but myself =]

did you ever try the laser nail treatment, by chance?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeko86 View Post
did you ever try the laser nail treatment, by chance?
No, I wasn't even aware there was such a treatment. My doctor never mentioned it to me.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
(female)

Kneeko86 HB User

ya. i havent surmised whether or not it's a scam tho. some people swear by it and others say it's a complete waste. my husband bought me a gift certificate for christmas to get it done, but i'm pregnant and don't want to chance any possible side-effects.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I did a little reading up on the laser treatment and it doesn't look too promising. The laser treatments are only a temporary cure and takes as long as the oral medication to clear up your nails entirely. The one advantage the laser treatments has is it doesn't pose a risk to the liver like Lamsil does, but this advantage comes at a high price tag.

Perhaps trying the topical treatments would be the best option for you now?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
(female)

Kneeko86 HB User

Hi! I'm not sure if you're still active on this board, but I wanted to update you. After my nails fell off, it got really bad... I no longer had any clear nail and it just crumbled off from the base. I had my son in September and decided to get the laser done at the beginning of November. I am SO happy with it. I started growing clear nails within days (literally days) and it's just getting further and further every day. They're about half way grown out now, and I ever need to retreat them it'll be about $100.

They lie tho; it wasn't painless. It felt like a match being held up to my toes (could have been because I forgot to take my nail polish off until right before?). Either way, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello.

It's good to hear you have healthy nails again, and congratulations on the birth of your son.

If you ever have to get your nails treated again and you find the pain to be unbearable, as I mentioned earlier I suggest talking to your doctor about taking an anti-fungal medication like Laimsil. It takes a while for the medication to work, but at least it's painless and I didn't experience any side-effects from it. The doctor told me I couldn't drink alcohol while I was taking the medication, but since I very rarely drink in the first place, it wasn't a difficult sacrifice for me.

Reply Reply