It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
(male)

No More Nails HB User
Help! Big toenail fell off. How long does it take a toenail to grow back?

I lost my big toe nail just over a month ago when I was visiting Scotland. It just fell off in my welly. It was such a surprise cos I thought that my toenails were securely fastened to my toes at the time. I didn't even realise that my toenail had fallen off until I was sitting in a friend's house one day and he seen that my left big toe had no more nail and he started pointing and laughing at it. everyone in the room just started laughing and pointing at my toe. It was so embarrassing. I could see clearly that I had no more nail on my big toe, so I googled "my big toe nail has fallen off". That brought me here to this very helpful forum. It's great to hear that there are more people like me. but I just have one question, does it really take as long as 18 months for the damn thing to grow back!!? I don't know if i can last that long, it's been a month and there has been absolutely no sign of growth. Nothin. I'm as nail-less today as i was the day it fell off. To make matters worse my friend is still making fun of me and calling me all sorts of hurtful nicknames. Not sure how much more I can take of this!!!! Please help,

Thanks
No more nails

Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Help! Big toenail fell off. How long does it take a toenail to grow back?

Hello.

I don't think it takes as long as 18 months to regrow a nail. I would estimate several months or so. Something you could try to help speed up the growth of your nail is to take calcium supplements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

A big toenail can take 6-12 months to grow back in. I would check to see if there is a fungal infection that caused the nail to fall off. If so, it will be much easier to treat while the nail is gone before it grows back. They are common, but stubborn to get rid of. They cause nails to get yellow, thick and bumpy and lift off the bed.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
(female)

kayylove123 HB User

Hi there,
From what I hear and experience from family members.. a toenail falling off can take grow back in about 6-12 months. But all of this usually depends on how fast your nails grow anyway.. so it could be longer/shorter then that estimated time. If you remember the nail being yellow and thick.. then you had a fungal infection. If you did.. then you should either talk to your doctor/get a prescription or go to your local pharmacy/ drugstore and pickup something in case it decides to come back.. because it could spread to other toes. (: To help the nail grow back faster. take some calcium supplements. Also.. make sure you keep the toe clean so you don't get any infections while its an open sore (:

Reply Reply