It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

gra87mar HB User
allergy to acrylic nails

I have been having acrylic nails applied by the same person, same salon for the last 5 yrs. For the last 6 months I have been experiencing red, swollen and itchy cuticles after having them done. It is gradually getting worse. I saw somewhere that changing to the gel would help, but unsure. My real nails are very thin..always have been..that's the reason I started getting them done. I can't figure how why I developed an allergy when I never had any problems before.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: allergy to acrylic nails

hi, I used to get acriylics for years like 15 yrs. then one time when they were taking one off my thumb they damaged my nail bed (ouch) and now I have this icky looking nail so I don't allow any electric files on my nails, which are still think btw. and its been almost 3 yrs since I stopped. I finally started getting shellac. They don't use the electric filing they use use the curing light. its a little more expensive.

what could have happened is that they started using a different product at your nail place without you realizing it. could be just a little thing.

Try the shellac, makes your nails hard too. Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
(female)

gra87mar HB User

Thanks for the suggestion. I had also tried using Tea Tree Oil after each new application. That helped for a while, but now, even that is not working.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

gra87mar HB User

Thanks..i tried the gel..same reaction..at a loss here..not sure what to do

Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

No it's not gel it's shellac just painted on with no base stuff except a base coat like a regular manicure. Cathy

Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might also try silk wraps. Most of the orientals don't do them. You'd have to find someone - they just glue on.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
(female)

gra87mar HB User

had them done last night..just for kicks..told her to keep away from cuticles..see if irration occurs again...so far, so good. I have also found that Tea Tree Oil works great ..but takes a few days to clear it up.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
(female)

gra87mar HB User
Cool Re: allergy to acrylic nails

Thanks for your reply..i had them done last nite with the gel..just for kicks, told her to keep everything away from my cuticles...so far, so good..usally, by next morning, my cuticles and skin around nails will be red and itching. I have found, also, in case anyone is interested, that Tea Tree Oil works great for this issue..takes a few days to get rid of the swelling and redness, but the itchiness goes away immediately. ( this is when i was using the acrylic nails )

Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
(female)

gra87mar HB User

yeah, i saw that was an alternative..and of course, she is oriental..doesn't do them. I am wondering..i really prefer the acrylic nails due to their durability..if i had her keep the product away from surrounding skin and cuticle..if would still have same reaction. probably wouldn't make any difference.

Reply Reply