It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 11:51 PM   #1

catherineMae HB User
Post Thumbnail Fungus

Just joined the boards. They are are mine of information. Have had a yellow, brown, thumbnail. Been to Dr and he suspects it is a fungus and I have had the end cut off and scrapes from the top of the nail sent for analysis. The nurse said this could take some weeks. But what do I do while awaiting the results??? Have read about the vinegar treatment and I am trying this. The tip of my thumbnail is very tender though because the nail isn't there to protect it. I have been putting Eulactol cream (urea preservative nipastat)on the tip and the white vinegar (2 drops) around the cuticle and sides at least twice daily. I have read about the vinegar treatment of Dr Stoll's website, interesting to read all the postings about nail fungi. I am very proud of my nails and do hope this fungus will not spread meantime while I am awaiting the results. Anyone help?

[This message has been edited by catherineMae (edited 06-01-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Did the discoloration begin as a yellowish/green color, then progress to brown? If so, it isn't fungus, but a Pseudomonas Bacterial infection. Fungus feeds off the proteins in the nail plate which is evidenced by nail plate lifting and evident debris in the area of lift. Fungal nails do not turn brown, but will become yellow and dull.

Pseudomonas, on the other hand, is characterized by a yellow/green discoloration; as it worsens, it will go through the stages of darker green, then brown, then black. the darker the color, the deeper into the nail plate layers the bacteria has traveled. If it is indeed pseudomonas, applying the ointments and vinegar to the nail will only give the bacteria the food and moisture it needs to grow. Instead, keep the nail clean and dry - this will remove the moisture from the nail that the bacteria needs to grow, and will actually 'kill' it within a few days. The stain, which is composed mostly of iron compounds, will remain and grow out with the nail plate.

You might want to visit my approved website to see a photograph of a Pseusomonas Bacteria infection. The address is: [url="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html"]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html[/url]
There is also a picture of a fungal nail.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread