It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 06:56 AM   #1

knut HB User
Post no more artificial nails

I've had acrylic tips for YEARS and finally decided that I need to go natural. I had them removed but my nails look terrible now, short as possible, raggedy... they just look awful. I want to go get a new set now. Any suggestions on a good product to try to get them healthy? Or should I just get a new set?

Old 07-01-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
(female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User
Talking

I've worn tips for the past 5 years and just recently had them removed. What a mess my nails are! So soft and split easily. Tried every nail strengthener available (posted a question about this approx. a month ago) but nothing has worked. So, for now, I have a gel overlay on my natural nails (which are very short). This acts as a strengthener to help my natural nail grow and decreases the sensitivity I was going through after my tips were removed. Really, it will probably take about 6 months for the damaged nail to grow out and hopefully the gel will help me get through it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Inactive

Pippin31 HB User
Thumbs up

O.K. girls,
Here is your solution...no donít laugh...It really works!!! I have worn acrylic nails for years and took them off about 6 months ago myself. Now, this is what you want to do...Go to a saddle shop or anywhere that sells horse supplies.. Yes..Horse supplies. Anyway, bye Hoof hardener for horses. It is just like a creamy lotion. You apply it to your nails once or twice daily and it WILL strengthen your nails, trust me!! Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Pippin31 (edited 07-02-2003).]

Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Horse Hoof Cream will dry out the nails and make them 'appear' harder; however, hardness does not translate to strength where fingernails are concerned. A HARD nail will easily break under pressure because it lacks flexibility. Flexibility is a natural, inherant feature of the nail plate.

Your nails are thin because the nail technician overfiled them during prep and finishing. Also, if the overlay is too think, it can put undue stress on the nail plate, resulting in even more damage. Then, depending on the type of products used to create the enhancement, sensitivity, allergic reaction and/or permanent nail damage may occur.

I would recommend using NailTek products on our mails. They have a series of products designed to increase the strength of the nail along with helping thenail to grow. The products are available in fine nail salons, or you can do a search on the internet.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
Inactive

Pippin31 HB User
I have used hoof hardener for years prior to ďfake nailsĒ and after along with Solar Oil from the salon. It hasnít dried my nails out. How long did you use the hoof hardener before you noticed it dried out your nails? What did it look like when your nails dried out?

Old 07-02-2003, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
My nails are not dried out because I consistently use Solar Oil on a twice daily basis. I have been a nail technician for over 35 years and am a nationally known platform artist and workshop leader. I also had quite a few clients who swore by the Hoof hardener. Their nails were hard allright, but because it removes moisture inorder to create hardness, it also makes the nails more prone to breakage under pressure. When they do break, they tend to break right at the smile line, and sometimes they break so low that they bleed.

Harness can be likened to a glass rod which is very hard, however; a glass rod is easily broken.

A nail that is TOUGH contains a combination of hardness AND flexibility. This type of nail will bend under pressure and is less likely to break. This is the optimum condition and balance for the natural nail to be strong. We remove enough of the nails natural moisture when we use polish remover, have our hands in water a lot, or use household cleaning solutions without wearing protective gloves.

The nail plate cells are held together by inner-connecting bonds. When our hands/nails are 'wet' for more than 3 minutes, these bonds swell beyond their capacity to 'snap back' and the bond is broken. This can also allow for the natural moisture in the nail plate to easily evaporate, leaving the nails dry, split and prone to brreakage. When we apply somthing to our nails that is specificialy designed to remove natural moisture in an attempt to make the nails APPEAR stronger, we are actually weakening the nail plates ability to perform its natural function. Whenever we use our hands, we place the nails under pressure. Excess pressure on a dry nail plate can also cause breakage.

On the other hand, when we apply any type of artificial nail enhancement, we TRAP the natural oils and moisture within the nail plate. After the product is removed, the nails will appear to be very soft due to the excess amounts of oil and moisture. After a few days, the excess will transmit to the surface of the nail plate and evaporate. The nail palte is very porous at this stage and should be treated with a nail strengthener that does not contain more than 2% formaldehyde because products containing more than 2% formaldehyde will over dry the nail plate. Horse hoof hardener contains more than 2% formaldehyde and is perfect for the hooves of horses, but not so good for the human nail. One can easily become sensitive to amounts of formaldehyde that are greater than 2%, and once we are allergic, we are allergic for life. Nail polish contains less than 2% formaldehyde, and nail strengtheners designed for the human nail contain 2% formaldehyde.

It's all about chemistry! For more information on your natural nails and Nail Chemistry, visity my approved website: [url="http://www.hooked-on-nails.com"]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url]

Old 07-02-2003, 09:16 AM   #7

knut HB User
thanks everyone, specially Marti, I've noticed some of your other post and it's greatly appreciated that you share some of your expertise here. I'll post back with my success (hopefully!!).

Closed Thread