It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2001, 06:34 PM   #1
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Post Toenail Fungus Help PLEASE!?

I am 15/m and have toenail fungus on 3 toenails. I can't paint my toenails so I can't swim in the summer with my friends b/c I am so embarrassed of it. I will do ANYTHING to get rid of it. I have had it my whole life and am so embarrassed I never swim with anyone but family. I also HATE that I can't wear sandals. I have ALWAYS wanted to. My dad talked to a doctor friend about it and all they said is that there are some prescription drugs but they are hard on the liver and very expensive. PLEASE I can't live with this any longer. I can't wear sandals or swim b/c I am afraid people will see. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this stuff? I have tried clipping them down and putting Lotrimin and I have tried that oil stuff from Wal-Mart, but neither work. How do I get rid of this stuff? Please help!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jarred2004:
Rosemary17 (07-08-2011)
Old 06-06-2001, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Bleach and vinegar are not a cure and will only mask the problem -- this 'cure' is just a myth. Fungus 'feeds' on the proteins in the nail plate and leaves behind evident yellowish debris between the nail plate and the nail bed. It can move from toenail to toenail. Oral medication is the best treatment for nail fungus, although the doctor should take a scraping and grow a culture to determine the strain of fungus causing the infection in order to prescribe the proper medication. Since fungus thrives in warm, moist places like the feet, it would actually be better if you did wear sandles so your toe nails would have a chance to 'dry out'. Nail fungus is generally from the 'yeast' family of fungal spores. Believe it or not, one of my clients had exxcellent results from using Monostat 7. She would push some of the cream between the nail plate and the nail bed twice daily. You could still use the Lotrimin and 'push' it between the lifted space. Fungus spores are hard to 'kill' and can also be treated with topical applications of Penlac which is applied like nail polish. It will penetrate the nail plate layers to do its' 'job'. I would still go see a dermatologist who is more knowledgable of nail diseases and have it treated properly. Home remedies may work for a while, but in the long run, medical intervention and treatment work better and are more permanent. It can take from 6 months to a year before the fungus 'dies' and the toe nail is 'normal' again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2001, 06:13 AM   #3
(male)

redwing HB User
I tried the oral medication and the fungus came back in my big toe nail. There are also certain side effects to be concerned with when taking the oral medications, like possible liver damage. I have been trying the vinegar routine decribed above for about 4 months and the new growth has now turned pink. I also am adding "vapo rub" (Vicks and other generic brands) as a topical to the nail. I read this somewhere as another possible cure. So I am doing both at once. All I can say is try it and see if it works for you. I agree that you must not miss a day.

[This message has been edited by redwing (edited 06-07-2001).]

Old 06-07-2001, 11:33 AM   #4
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Question

I have regular vinegar from the store, but what exactly is distilled vinegar? I will try that and see if it works, I just need to know what distilled vinegar is.

Old 06-07-2001, 11:58 AM   #5
(male)

redwing HB User
You can buy white distilled vinegar in large plastic bottles, like at Kroger's. I think Heinz has one in a smaller glass bottle. It's also a great mild cleaner when mixed in with water, for windows, wood floors etc. It's located in the grocery store by the cider vinegars, which you do not want. A small amount will last you a long time for the nail treatment. I believe it is about a 5% solution (see label). If it is 5%, you do not have to dilute it for the nail treatment. I put some in a small plastic bottle and apply it with a Q-tip.

[This message has been edited by redwing (edited 06-07-2001).]

Old 06-22-2001, 08:01 AM   #6
(male)

redwing HB User
DLieber - hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2001, 04:31 PM   #7

Christine VR HB User
Hi there,
I read on the old boards that Vic vaporrub works. I don't know if it does but mor ethan a few people swore by it. Maybe you should try that. It's cheap and worth a shot. Good luck

Old 06-25-2001, 06:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
All of these home remedies 'curing' nail fungus is a really huge MYTH. With even prescription drugs, it can take up to a year or longer to actually kill the fungal spores that cause the nail plate destruction because they feed off the protein in the nail palte. Without the proper medication (oral and/or topical), the fungus can 'eat' it's way down the nail plate until it reaches the matrix. Once it gets to the place where the nail plate cells are 'born' and eats its way through this portion of the nail unit, the nail will NEVER grow again. Is rhe complete loss of a nail worth saving a few dollars by not seeking medical attention?

Actual TRUE nail fungus is rare, and probably less than 2 - 3% of all finger nail or toe nail infections are actually fungus. The rest are caused by bacteria. If it is a bacterial infection, keeping the nails clean and dry at all times will rob the infection of the contaminates it 'eats' as its food, and the moisture it needs to grow.

Only a physician can determine which spore is causing the infection and will prescribe the proper medications to alleviate the spores from your body.

Vinegar is a pickling agent. Bleach is harmful to the skin and neither will do anything to KILL a live, hungry spore. Vicks vapor rub is a petroleum based product with added menthol - all it will do is make the spores 'high' with the vapors. It contains absolutely NO anit-fungal ingredients, medications or anything else to 'kill' an active fungal spore.

If you really want to get rid of the dastardy, eating machine - get to a doctor and take the medication. Otherwise, risk losing the entire nail! Remember, fungus can spread from finger to finger, toe to toe , hand to hand, foot to foot, and to other persons you come in contact with. It is highly contageous in its' active state!

Old 09-01-2001, 12:25 PM   #9

slymenstra HB User
ive been dealing with the gross nail syndrome for about five years now .....the medications didnt work at all , in fact they caused problems with my digestive system . tried everything ...from actually soaking them in undiluted bleach to filing them down to a nub till they bleed . the medications are so expensive and i had to cut through some red tape to get my insurance to cover them .real cures !!!thats what i want !!

Old 09-01-2001, 04:16 PM   #10

windcaller HB User
I did it all...I used vinegar, lotrimin, lamisil and sporanox..NOTHING WORKED.

Your only remorse is to go see the doctor and either take the medications, or have the nails removed...I had to have my big toenails removed completely. That was the only way I was able to get rid of the fungus.

I wish you better luck

Old 03-26-2002, 08:59 AM   #11
(male)

redwing HB User
Thumbs up

Since I last posted, I have found that using the vinegar along with Vic's vapo-rub did NOT work for my (large) toenail fungus, but I wasn't always doing this twice a day either. Also, I think the vapo-rub may have prevented the absorption of the vinegar by the nail plate.

What is working now (for the past 6 months) is applying ONLY undilluted white vinegar morning AND night (and also after any bath/shower) to the base of the affected nail using a Q-tip. To be effective you must NEVER skip an application. My large toe nail is now coming out pink and healthy! I'll keep you posted. Good luck to all.

Old 03-29-2002, 08:29 PM   #12

Terez Nicole HB User
Wink

Instead of looking for ways to temporarily kill toenail fungus, you need to get to the bottom of why you have it in the first place. Most toenail fungus isn't caused by having dirty feet, it is a symptom of an internal problem that originated much higher up, in your gut.

Systemic Candidiasis (AKA systemic yeast infection) is the cause of most toenail fungus. I suggest that you do some research on the internet or buy a couple of books on Candidiasis.

A medical doctor prescribed a month's worth of Diflucan pills to treat my toenail fungus. There was some improvement, although it did not last. The pills were beginning to affect my liver and the fungus came right back.

Next, I went to a homeopathic (natural) physician, who educated me on the yeast/fungus Candida. She put me on a strict diet and recommended a safe yeast killer. In addition to an overall improvement in my health, the toenail fungus cleared up completely and has never returned.

I hope this helps you in your quest to end your problem.

[This message has been edited by Terez Nicole (edited 03-29-2002).]

Old 03-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #13

dgrams949 HB User
Cool

HEY YES THE VICKS DOES WORK IF YOU USE IT EVERY DAY. IT TAKES TIME FOR ANYTHING TO WORK ON THIS. THERE IS NO FAST WAY TO GET RID OF THE FUNGUS. JUST KEEP CLEANING AND APPLYING VICKS. IT DOES WORK.........
DGRAMS 949

Old 04-01-2002, 07:43 AM   #14

mwhod HB User
If you will use a brush and clean your nails twice a day morning and night and use vicks vapor rub on them it will cure nail fungus, it takes some time but it does work, once you begin to see the improvement you will be convinced and continue easily, keep nails trimmed. This does work, let no one tell you different.

Old 04-01-2002, 07:46 AM   #15

mwhod HB User
Diflucan i thought is primarily for yeast infection,

Closed Thread