It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Natural Disaster Sympathies and Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Blessed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I, like everyone else, have been watching the carnage in New Orleans and Mississippi unfold on the news (especially our local news). I have a different perspective since these are my neighbors who are suffering. Just several blocks away from where I reside, there are thousands of men, women and children who have lost everything and are now "living" at the Baton Rouge River Center. They are saying that the population of Baton Rouge has doubled in the past few days. A lot of newborns have been transferred from New Orleans hospitals to Woman's Hospital in Baton Rouge. It has been so heart-wrenching to see the hungry, frightened children, pregnant women, etc. Many elderly and frail individuals have literally died in the streets.

I call myself "blessed" because the most suffering I had to endure was being without electricity for 3 days. But I had plenty of food and water. I honestly did not start taking Hurricane Katrina "seriously" until I took my dog out early Monday morning (5 am'ish) and the winds were so strong the street lights were swaying back and forth. There was already a huge tree lying in the road that runs past the 14-story apt. bldg. I live in. I had a feeling of dread and "knew" then that this storm would be much worse than Hurricane Andrew of 1992. I wish I could get out in the middle of things and do my part to help but I am disabled. But I can pray and I am doing just that. Please God, help these poor people who are crying out. It is mostly the poor who are suffering, (as usual) but they are no less worthy of help than anybody else. Thank you to all who are helping and praying for the people of the city of New Orleans.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
(female)

Re: Blessed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Just heard from my cousin who has been volunteering over at the River Center where many, many of the evacuees are currently staying. (Cuz is a doctor). He said it is "controlled chaos," but there are fights breaking out and many people are still in dire straits. There is constant coverage on our 2 local news stations. The residents of my apartment building have been making donations to the Red Cross. Most of us are on a fixed income (I get SSI) but we want to do what we can to help.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #3

jbot HB User

Hey Blessed I am in Baton Rouge area and I am blessed also. Some of us can`t for whatever reason do much to help but hun we can pray. That is one thing no one can take away from us our faith and our belief that our wonder part od south La. will be as good as new in a few years.Take care of yourself...jbot

Old 09-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

Hey Neighbor (Jbot)!!!

Have you been around the city lately? I went to Wal-Mart this morning and there was hardly anything on the shelves!!! I had to go to another store to find bread! My cousin, a physician, has been volunteering at the River Center helping with the sick survivors. I stopped by his office at Woman's Hospital to get my percocet prescription he was kind enough to write for me. As I've mentioned before, I cannot locate my doctor so my cousin offered to help me get my monthly pain meds. The people at the EKL clinic say all the doctor schedules they had before the hurricane are now "null and void," and they are having difficulties getting patents seen there.

While driving around I saw Fox News and CNN vans--so surreal!!! I actually saw Christiane Amanpour of CNN doing a broadcast from the OEP building right here in Baton Rouge. I am used to seeing her in war zones like Iraq and Bosnia. Louisiana has turned into a war zone of sorts. It makes me so very sad. My dear mother died on July 10th. She would have been heartbroken to see what has happened to the city of New Orleans. They might even have to tear down the Superdome!!! So much for our state motto: "Let the good times roll!!!!!!!!!!" My friend Susan's elderly parents are from Metairie. Their house is still standing but is "off limits" for now so they got an apartment here in BR. So many lives turned upside down and inside out.

Last edited by NOTSONUTSO; 09-06-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #5

jbot HB User

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) neighbor. I`m glad the 2 of us are blessed. I don`t go to walmart much but my hubby said they are short of everything in the meat line and sometimes water. I`m 8 miles out of Baton Rouge and the traffic has been horrible. I take the back roads and they are bad also. I didn`t know there was a 16 story building that people could live in Baton Rouge. Speaking of medicine my dr is in Ponchatoula and he hasn`t been able to reopen and I can not get in touch with him. I have been without my blood pressure meds for a few days now just thinking every day the office will open. I have enough pain meds for about a week and then I guess I will just suffer more then I already do with them. The drug stor loaned me a week supply of b/p meds but i`m out again. All my meds had no refill because I had appoitment to go to the dr the very day the storm hit. I must be on the helicopter path because i hear alot of them over head.Some times I get so mad about things that I hear that happen in New Orleans I just have to turn the tv off. Louisiana have some good people here and I sure hope the bad ones are gotten off the streets.At this point all I can tell anyone from out of state is pray for us like we did New York during 911. God Bless and keep the faith and keep in touch........jbot

Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
(female)

Hello! The apartment building I live in is 14 not 16 stories (sorry!) It is a HUD facility and I am very fortunate to have resided here in downtown B.R. the last 12 years.
I am hearing (and seeing) helicoptors all day also! And you are correct--the traffic is unbelievable. I did not think BR traffic could get any worse! This whole ordeal is so surreal. People were just living their lives, going about their own business and just like that, NO jobs, NO homes, NO possessions, and many are now in unfamiliar places as far away as Utah, Philly and Washington D.C.! And there are the children who are having to start all over in a new school with new teachers and students. I know I would be BEYOND TERRIFIED if that had happened to me as a child.
My heart breaks every time I see the lost and abandoned pets in New Orleans and elsewhere. Thankfully, there are angels who are helping to rescue these poor animals. I think of my little dog and know in my heart I would not have been able to board a bus for destinations unknown--and leave my beloved Ginger behind. I was spared that grief and much more and I will be counting my blessings for many months to come.

Last edited by NOTSONUTSO; 09-08-2005 at 12:19 AM.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #7

jbot HB User

Yes I know what you mean about the pets. I have a cat and if I couldn`t take her they would have to knock me out. I feel so so sorry and helpless for all the people and pets that got seperated.I hope and pray that all the money that is being raised will go to the people that needs it and don`t end up in someone pockets that is already rich.I been watching CNN and they are putting families back together by showing their pictures. That is good news.Well I think i`m going to turn the tv off my pain index is going up and I still can`t get in toutch with my dr. Oh well there is always tomorrow and things will be better. Keep in touch.........jbot

Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
(female)

Well, I am again hoping to be "blessed." Hurricane Rita is causing howling winds and awful rain just outside my window. I turned the TV up loud to try to lessen the noise. I am feeling so stressed worrying about losing electricity. All of these back-to-back powerful storms make it seem like the world has gone insane--at least in my "corner of the world." There is still another month left of hurricane season. I laughed when comedian Jon Stewart, addressing the "Almighty," said, "What part of God BLESS America, do you NOT understand?? From the mountains, to the prairies...not "flatten," not "drown." A little comic relief was helpful, but this is no laughing matter. My windows are rattling from the wind.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
(female)

Well, I made it through the night with NO power outage. It feels like a miracle! The wind is still pretty fierce but has 'calmed' a little. I took my little dog for a brief walk (awful rain has stopped for now) and there is patio furniture and other debris littering the streets. There are trees and fences down and huge branches blocking the sidewalks. I did not go to bed until 6 am this morning. I was just so full of anxiety and the wind and rain were SO loud! It looks like Lake Charles got the worst of it (about 50 miles from BR). And of course New Orleans is flooded again.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #10

jbot HB User

Hey NOTSO we lost power sat mornig at 4am until 12 noon so that wasn`t to bad. i think the wind was worse with Rita for us then it was Katrina.Between the both of them my pain index is a 10. My back, feet and legs are killing me worse the most days. I don`t know if its has to do with the pressure in the storms or with the stress of the storms comming here. I do feel so sorry for all the ppl that did lose everything. I keep asking myself it hit NO it hit Lake Charles does that mean we next ? I missed 3 days work due to the storms and I really need to get back. I get so depressed when I stay at home and just watch all the destruction on tv. I know this has been the worst disaster that I have seen in my 63 yrs. I feel so hepless not being able to help in any way. My medical problems has me to the point I can`t do alot, but pray.Well hun it was good to hear that you made it through this storm. The traffic is still pretty bad here but I try to go out at times when all the work traffic is go. Let me know how you are doing and how you spend your days trying to keep busy and keep from getting depressed. God Bless....jbot

Closed Thread