It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Natural Disaster Sympathies and Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Matching Funds

A few generic thoughts on ways to help---

Many large companies set up "matching funds" programs, which can effectively double a donation. The hitch is most seem to match donations made only by employees, not "outsiders".

In my area, I've already seen cash boxes in our grocery stores and city-sponsered partnerships with well-known charities. Anyone wanting to know what his/her local area has up & running could call a nearby newspaper, mayor's office, churches, etc.

May all of us find something---anything---to do to help our fellow citizens, to alleviate in some small way their unspeakable suffering.

Vee

Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #2

JanetinHouston HB User
Re: Matching Funds

Vee-You are absolutely right about anyone and everyone donating however they can...no donation is too small. I think alot of people that have never donated to anything much in their lives are at least reaching out and give something....and that is making a big difference.

There is one company...I cannot remember the name, that has already donated $4 Million. And he was challenging other companies to donate and he would match up to another $1 Million.

Also, WalMart has stepped up to the plate too. I don't know how much they have donated in money, food and supplies, but two displaced families of 12 from N.O. were living in a one bedroom apt. next to my co-worker. They went to Walmart to get what they could afford. When they told the cashier they were from N.O. and showed their drivers license, the cashier gave them their purchase for $0! Also, Walmart is placing anyone that was employed with them in the disaster areas in jobs here....in Houston they are doing that anyway. So...although I hate the rat race of the big WalMart by me, I am now shopping there to give them my support.

[

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread