It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Natural Disaster Sympathies and Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Not only our brothers and sisters were

displaced but many of their pets were lost or had to be left behind. How horrible to see that little boy cry his eyes out cuz the bus driver wouldn't let him take his little dog with him, the only thing he was able to save in his home. How abusive to an already emotionally distraught 6yr old boy. If we can turn away from the looting cuz it is an emergency so rules don't count, why couldn't they bend a little for a boy and his dog. They could have had special bus runs for people who rescued their animals for heavens sake. So I gave a big portion to animal rescue to help care for displaced pets til they can be reunited with their families again if they still have one. I also gave to red cross to of course but no one remembers the animals who lives were disrupted to. Maybe there will be some heart warming stories that come out of this tragedy but right now the media likes to focus on political finger pointing which as if to say a mere human called this hurricane into action or something. Lots of mistakes but let's deal with it and get it fixed. My daughter is looking into adopting a orphaned child and animal.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
(female)

meatball HB User
Re: Not only our brothers and sisters were

Ditto what NancyH said.. I too gave money to animal rescue. It breaks my heart to see and hear all the stories of misplaced animals who now need homes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Nancy, you are right. This is just horrible to see these pets like this. I couldn't leave my dog behind, he's my child!!! {REMOVED}

Please don't copy and paste material from other sources. Also posting articals of that nature would only add to the stress ,heartbreak and loss of anyone from the Gulf Coast region who may read it and found themselves in the situation of having to leave behind their beloved pet. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-09-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
(female)

mikesgirl HB User

I am glad someone brought up this subject. For many people, animals are part of the family! I just can't understand why people were forced to leave them behind. To me it is uncivilzed.

It breaks my heart to think of all those poor animals...glad I am not the only one.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #5

JanetinHouston HB User

Hello from Houston !

Nancy, I do agree how cruel it was to take Snowball away from that little boy. The good news is I heard they have found the dog (Snowball) and I last heard they are now trying to find the little boy. The rules must have been relaxed some since that incident happened because alot of those people made it to Houston with their animals!

You will be glad to know there are SOOOOO many people here in Houston (among other cities, I am sure) that are donating money and supplies, rolling up their sleeves and working, fostering animals, and adopting those that were in the N.O. animal shelter prior to the storm. I have gone over to the SPCA the last two weekends, and it is very touching to see the line of cars just waiting to drop off supplies and to make donations.

I went two weeks ago to volunteer but was turned away since there is a liability factor with non-trained people handling the animals. However, I found out this last SAturday that anyone with a love for animals and a positive attitude will be allowed to volunteer with duties that would not put them in direct contact with the animals. I am going to do that but I found out today my application has just been approved to be a hands-on volunteer, but the next training session is not until October 15th, so until then I will just help out in whatever way I can in the office or receiving donations/supplies center.

Also, I did want to let you know that the rescue efforts are still going on and more and more animals are being found and rescued each day. With all of us working together....donating money if you are from far away, and those in the near communities donating their money, time, heart and soul, we can all make a difference to these sweet little babes!

I DID WANT TO ALSO SAY THAT IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE TO US VOLUNTEERS TO HEAR PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF YOU TO KEEP TALKING ABOUT THIS, SEND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT, AND TO NOT LET OUR LITTLE BABIES BE FORGOTTEN

Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Hurray for the rescue efforts for both animal and man. Good to hear some happy stories on all sides. I'll keep sending my money in both directions as well. I tend to fret more for the critters, little children, handicapped and the elderly than I do for young adults and middle aged. It's the ones who can't help themselves I lean toward more. God Bless all who are willing to care for those til they can be reunited with their families or new families.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

I put in a call to my (Ginger's) veterinarian last Friday to get a refill of prednisone for my dog's skin condition. I was told my vet has been in New Orleans for the past 9 days helping care for the injured and sick animals (his wife is a vet also and she is there too--her specialty is horses and there are many in need in that area). Go Dr. Eades and Dr. Eades!!!!!!! Heroes come in all variety!!!

Old 09-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I'm so glad that the blind man was reunited with his seeing eye dog and best friend. Was on the Today show, gee he was happy to see his master! Survived 14 days in the attic I guess, animals have a real instinct for survival. I'm glad they relaxed the rules allowing pets to go with after the little boy and snowball, TV coverage can sure make a difference.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

There is an organization that goes into disaster areas to specifically rescue pets and animals that have been left behind after a major castastrophe such as Katrina. I don't know if I can mention it here, but it's similar to the Red Cross, so I imagine it will be fine. The organization's ackronymn is EARS. I'm not sure what the letters stand for: something like Emergency Animal Rescue Service????? Anyhoo, I saw a story on this organization years ago when a hurricane hit the Atlantic coastline. They work like the Red Cross only they are for animals. There's info out there about them, you just have to look it up. It's nice to know that there is an organization especially made for our fellow "citizens" who happen to be animals!

tk

Old 09-29-2005, 07:07 PM   #10

jbot HB User

Nancy thank you so much I would be right there with you but I have health problems that prevents me from working with the animals. I have one very spoiled cat and I am thinking of going to adopt another for her to have company. We have 2 places open here that has had a very large number of animals that has been rescused.There are vets here from many other states that have been helping and my thanks goes out to them also. So to everyone that is helping our furry friends a big THANKS You are heros too.

Closed Thread