It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Natural Disaster Sympathies and Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
(female)

Towson HB User
we were hit by Irene

I live in Maryland. We went through the earthquake and then were hit by Irene. I really deep inland, but we did get a lot of rain and the high winds. Maryland got the flash flooding that went after a hurricane, but nothing that I've seen that Vermont has gotten. I had thought that once hurricane Irene hit New York she was more of a tropical storm, but it seems that she packed just as much of a punch as she had done in the previous States that she had hit. BTW, Maryland also had a tornado touch down during the storm. I would have never thought that was possible.

I'm in my 50's and I seem to becoming more storm sensitive to what's been going on weather wise lately. When Japan was hit by the tsunami, I was just a little more concerned than the average joe because my husband is japanese-american. I knew that he had family that was still there. We found out that may of then were alright, but I think that was the beginning of my sensitivities.

The one thing that I heard recently was that Hurricane Irene was un-necessarily hyped. I felt that we are all better safe than sorry and couldn't believe that anyone would say that.

The following user gives a hug of support to Towson:
Dude111 (01-06-2012)
Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: we were hit by Irene

WE got the same thing here in CT. Like you we also had a couple of tornados during it all. There are still many-many folks without power and tons of damage. Luckily I only had some branches and leafs all over so I consider myself VERY lucky.

I do agree that although the weather folks were on tv or radio almost 24/7 at least we knew to expect the worst and hope for the best. Some do think it was a ton of hype but I'd rather be safe then sorry and prepared.

Hope all is well now...JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

We came through ok. Many of my relatives, friends, neighbors or co-workers lost power, had basements flood or both, but that's all fixable. Thank God, I haven't heard of anyone I personally know suffering injury, death, or severe property damage.

The warnings and actions by the government were reasonable and prudent. Shut down airports, evacuate barrier islands and seacoasts, these are reasonable. Shutting down the trains was smart, too. About 5 years back, a tropical storm flooded the subways and I was stuck underground between stations for over an hour. We don't need this happening to people. (Or worse!)

However, the media's behavior was despicable. There was no reason for multiple stations to show nothing but storm warnings for three days straight. Some of my friends (adults included!) were driven into a true panic and came to the conclusion that things were much WORSE than the government was willing to admit. My friend's daughter was really terrified, and they do NOT live in a flood zone. Rather than forecasts and projections, they put up brilliantly-colored maps that screamed, "Everyone is in extreme danger!"

Folks, the last thing we need in that sort of situation is panic, but that's what CNN did its best to encourage. Thank heaven it mostly worked out okay.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
(male)

Drexel HB User
Instant Sandbags

It was indeed when Hurricane Irene came. It seems like the second Katrina. One should be prepared for it next like...stocking for food. lighting materials, life jacket, etc anything that is essential for survival for one never knows when natural disaster strikes.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

mommyfor 10 kid HB User

I was just hit by Snowstorm Alfred. Left w/o power for a week. What a charecter builder.

The following user gives a hug of support to mommyfor 10 kid:
Dude111 (01-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, the snowstorm was worse than the hurricane. Irene took the sick and dead trees, the snowstorm tore down perfectly healthy trees and tore countless power lines.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
(male)

atson456 HB User

Irene made landfall Saturday morning at Cape Lookout, N.C., as a Category 1 hurricane, then moved into the mid-Atlantic before being downgraded to a tropical storm and hitting the Northeast on Sunday, killing at least 15 people in its path. Many of the victims were killed by falling trees.
However, the sandbags remained relatively dry Sunday morning as residents and store owners expressed relief that Irene had spared them.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
(male)

Dude111 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towson
The one thing that I heard recently was that Hurricane Irene was un-necessarily hyped. I felt that we are all better safe than sorry and couldn't believe that anyone would say that.
Yes it was quite bad and im sorry you were affected by this and I hope you can return to a level of decency soon

God bless

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: please use smilies or attachments instead of outside links

Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
(female)

juliebean2012 HB User

I've never lived through something like that. I would have no idea what that is like. How are you doing right now?

Closed Thread