It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Natural Disaster Sympathies and Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
(male)

marving HB User
Hurricane Sandy

My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by Hurricane Sandy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marving For This Useful Post:
GrodzIB (11-02-2012), Phoenix (11-17-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Administrator
(male)

Administrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB User
Re: Hurricane Sandy

Our hearts go out to everyone suffering loss, fear, need, and uncertainty !

The Following User Says Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (11-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Things are very bad here still. I have power, but about half of my area doesn't. Relatives without power have moved in with us, which is stressful, although it's nothing compared to what a lot of folks are going through.

Although Sandy was "only" a Cat 1, with sustained wind speeds of "only" 80 mph, she had an extraordinarily low barometric pressure when she made landfall, which meant an enormous storm surge. Worse, the storm swept in with the high tide under a full moon, leading to the highest waters ever recorded in the area, generally by several feet.

We haven't been able to buy fuel for the past few days, and when a gas station does get fuel, there are long lines and police officers standing by to ration it in an orderly way and prevent riots.

Down on the shore, it's much worse. There are over 100,000 homes in the tri-state area which were flooded to the second floor, smashed, burned, or otherwise rendered uninhabitable.

Unfortunately, the loss of infrastructure is making relief difficult. I think food is getting out most places, but heat is harder to come by, and the nights are getting colder.

The rescue and medical personnel are working tirelessly, though most of them are dealing with the same conditions at home. They have saved countless lives already.

I grew up practically on the beach, and I loved the ocean, but I never forgot its terrifying power. I was five years old when Gloria swept over us, the last true hurricane to hit New York. Damage from Gloria was minimal, because it was low-power and passed over fast. Other hurricanes landed farther south, or north, or bled out part of their fury before reaching us, or swept past us out to sea.

The folks on the Pacific Rim talk about earthquakes, living through the little ones, wondering when the Big One will come along. That's how we in the coastal Northeast felt about hurricanes. Somehow, though, even watching it come in on the radar, we didn't understand: This is our Big One.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: janewhite1
jennifer2019 (11-03-2012), Phoenix (11-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
bobbi416 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hope you all come out of this stronger than ever before!

I texted REDCROSS to 90999. That puts $10 on your cell bill and sends the $10 to the Red Cross.

The following user gives a hug of support to SanyBelle:
janewhite1 (11-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to SanyBelle For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (11-17-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

jennifer2019 HB Userjennifer2019 HB User

Im sure it is stressful letting all those live with you but you are doing something very nice id love to help but im low on money as well i hope you all are ok and god bless you all will be in our prayers

The Following User Says Thank You to jennifer2019 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (11-17-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Jennifer, thank you so much.

Just don't forget us, and don't allow the country to forget us. Until everyone has power back, until the critical rail lines are all working, until everyone displaced by the storm surge has found a permanent home, it's not over.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
SanyBelle (11-03-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Jane,

I'm on the other side of the country, but I've been watching the events in your area. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the others in that area.

Wishing you and your family well.

MountainReader

Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

Thank you everyone. Like Jane I am in central/northern NJ and it is still a mess here. But like most people, we are thankful we are ok. I had a huge pine tree fall on my home but only damaged the corner of the roof and the gutters. To me that is nothing. A lot of friends lost their homes in the beach areas. I look at the pictures and I have been to every place that was destroyed. Never ever would I believe it could hit us. Now another smaller but not so wild storm is coming in on Wed and Thurs. We do not have the schools open yet and my town is small, there are no shelters here. Everyone is helping each other. Trees are still down all over and electric goes on and off. And the gas lines! OMG never saw anything like it. So thank you all for your concern and prayers and most of all donations. Linda

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

The gas lines are pretty crazy. A lot of the stations are still closed, but at the ones which are open, there is not only a long line of cars, but a long line of people on foot, wrapped up against the cold, waiting to fill their 2-gallon cans so they can keep their emergency generators going. Formal rationing has begun, and everyone who owns a car knows exactly how much is left in their tank right now.

But people are bearing up very well, at least here in our partially-affected town a few miles inland. Churches, shops, and libraries are crowded with folks trying to stay warm, but everyone seems hopeful. Today we took some food and blankets over to a local church, which wasn't hard. Two folks with minivans were there to drive everyone's donations to a devastated shore town, sacrificing probably two gallons of their own gas in the process.

And things are getting better. More and more people are getting the power back. Some schools have re-opened. (Some have not.)

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
(female)

jennifer2019 HB Userjennifer2019 HB User

Im sure its difficult but it will be alright with god on the line i live on the western side of NC alot on the coastal side are having it rough but nothing like NY and NJ are i herd another storm is forming id pray god to send it away myself i hope you all stay warm god bless you jane and Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to jennifer2019 For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (11-04-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
(female)

FrankieSet HB User

My family and I could barely sleep just fretting about everyone out though. Our hearts go out to you x

Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
(female)

clara790 HB User

it was one of the worst storms of the year! felt really sad for those people who lost their homes

Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
(female)

Barb8Y HB User

my thoughts and prayers to the victim and to their families

Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

Thank you all for your thoughts but it so cold over on the east coast, about 17, and even colder tomorrow. Thank the Lord I wasn't hit hard but there are still families out there trying to save their houses and can't get the government to help. One bill was turned down, now another is waiting to be voted on. Let's pray that it does pass and get some heat for these people. Although NJ coast most people lost their 2nd summer home, their are still a lot that was their primary home. And Staten Island is even worse. Keep those prayers coming and again Thank You All.

The following user gives a hug of support to NJLinda:
ninamarc (02-05-2013)
Closed Thread