It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

Sudden onset leg weakness with buckling leg

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
kris182
(female)

kris182 HB User
Sudden onset leg weakness with buckling leg

2 weeks ago, my balance problems got worse, 2 weeks ago yesterday I found myself falling or nearly falling dozens of times that evening, I was stumbling like I was drunk, but I rarely drink. By Tuesday, my left leg was suddenly buckling under me as I was walking, it was constant.

My dr was concerned, but I had to wait until this past Thursday to see him. When he saw my leg buckling for himself, he knew it wasn't an inner ear problem as he'd initially suspected because of the balance. I'm waiting for blood work results, ruling out and vitamin deficiencies, but my dr suspects it's neurological based on the sudden onset of this problem.

I am now waiting for my neurologists office to call me with an appointment, I'm sure they will once the neurologist gets the note from my dr.

I'm worried because I'm more of a fall hazard now than I was before, more so as I'm going down stairs as my leg started buckling while on them yesterday.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Sudden onset leg weakness with buckling leg

Unfortunately, I have heard of this. I ignored it at the time, but after another symptom came up, I went directly to the doctor, where I was told I had a pinched nerve. (I knew that wasnt what it was). A CT Scan showed abnormalities and a neurologist was finally called in to see me. I hadn't left the radiology department yet.

The neurologist ordered an MRI on the spot, and within an hour, he told me he suspected Multiple Sclerosis. I was sent to a larger hospital to an M.S. center for further testing and evaluation. Within 24 hours, I was diagnosed with MS.

I'm not telling you any of this to scare you, but you asked. There is good news. I was given 5 days of IV Steroids to minimize the inflammation and it worked. I was back to my old self in a few days. Not tripping and all of my symptoms disappeared. That was 12+ years ago.

Since then, I have gotten married, had 3 kids, gotten 3 degrees in college including a Doctoral Degree. I drive, no one knows that I have MS unless I tell them. Yes, I have bad weeks...where I feel awful...but all in all, I am fine.

You could be just as lucky. MS is not fatal, and really is a livable disease. OR it could be completely nothing but a problem with your nerve due to some sort of blockage which can be fixed. Whatever it is, insist on seeing a good neurologist and dont quit until you get answers. Be your own advocate!

Hoping for the best for you!!

Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
kris182
(female)

kris182 HB User

Thanks. My pain management Dr is ordering an MRI of my back, don't know how long I'll have to wait for that. I'm going to email my dr to see if he's gotten a response from my neurologist yet.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Good idea Kris182. An MRI of the back will only possibly show anything neurological. You need one of your head to see what else might be going on..

Its probably nothing. I wouldn't worry...but I hope you get some answers!

Old 09-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #5
kris182
(female)

kris182 HB User

I have to wait to see the neurologist for that I think. I'm waiting for my dr to email me back about my blood work results, and to see if he wants to talk to my pain management doctor or not.

Reply Reply