It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

tr3 HB User
Unhappy Should I see a Neurotologist or Neurologist for foggy brain and loss of balance?

Hello,

I'm a 27 yr old male. About 3 years ago I started to develop these rather serious issues. My brain is very foggy. I forget things all the time like numbers, names, words, conversation with people, things that happen in movies, etc. I also forget important dates with my fiance' and our conversations (ouch!). And my promises I gave to my fiance'...you can forget about those. A lot of times I forget something that just happened not even 5 seconds ago. It seems as though the more I try to think of something, the quicker I'll forget about it.

To describe the brain fog, it feels like the brain is too big for my skull. There's a constant pressure in my head. I can feel this pressure behind my eyes as well. I don't physically see fog, but the feeling I get from it is like there's fog in my brain, and so everything I do I have to try harder to get through the fog. This foggy feeling is always there 24/7.

And then, a year ago I started to lose my balance. I can't seem to walk in a straight line. I bump into things all the time while doing things standing. When I walk, I get disoriented and my brain feels like it's spinning and things around me seem to be moving and blurry.

I can't focus AT ALL, period. I get distract easily and my mind wonders off all the time. I get sidetracked from things around me very easily.

My typing skill has deteriorated to the point where I have to go over all of the things I have just typed up. In the past I used be able to type above 70 words per minute no problem.

My speech skill is going down hill so fast it's not funny. Words just come out weird and confusing. Conversations are short and awkward, and they usually end when I say something that has nothing to do with the start of the conversation. I don't like being a quiet person, but a lot of times I have to keep my mouth shut, so I don't embarrass myself.

My reading skill is getting bad as well. My eyes try to skip ahead everytime I read, and I always have to read the same thing 2-3 times to get it, only to forget it about a minute later, of course.

A piece of information worth mentioning is that, when I sit up right and tilt my head down to where the top of my head points to the ground, my brain fog goes away like it's never there. But when I tilt my head back up, that priceless feeling goes away.

I have a lot of issues on my mind right now like financial and future marriage that is coming up. I would rate these issues extremely taxing on my mind, like they are always there in my mind no matter what I do. Could these be the reasons behind my symptoms? Oh, and I get about 6 hours of sleep 7 days a week. I eat semi-healthy and drink plenty of water. I exercise (45 mins of cardio) 2 times a week.

I need help big time. I want someone to chop my head open and see what's wrong with it. Would getting scanned tell me what's wrong with my brain? Who should I talk to about my symptoms? What is wrong with me?

Thanks for your help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
Re: Should I see a Neurotologist or Neurologist for foggy brain and loss of balance?

Hi TR3

Welcome. I have had the same problems you describe for about the last 8 months. I had a similar episode about 8 years ago and it lasted a year. I also have had off and on problems with my left ear: strange sounds; tinnitus, etc. I would first consider an Inner Ear problem and find a good refferal to an ENT.

Given your age, MS is a POSSIBILITY. My father had it, so I am at higher risk (I am 40 2 days ago!) If you have serious visual disturbances, ie. double vision, or have numbness or tingling in your extremities, see a Neurologist.

Hope this helps,

Brenden.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
(male)

coryb HB User
Re: Should I see a Neurotologist or Neurologist for foggy brain and loss of balance?

Hey, certain aspects of your case is similar to mine. Right now I think migraines are the biggest part of my problem, although I'm not certain why I can't get rid of them. I bought this book called "Heal Your Headache" that somebody else on the board recommended. It is very good and I was much more convinced that migraines were my problem after reading it. I'll give you some of the points I highlighted that applied to me and sound like could apply to you too. Keep in mind that before I read this book I didn't think I had migraine "headaches" because I wouldn't call the things I had headaches, but after reading the book, I started to think they were.

Here are some pieces from the book:

"When partially activated, as is much more often the case, this same mechanism results in mild-to-moderate, nonspecific discomfort in or around your head, face or neck..."

"Discomfort may be felt anywhere in or around the face or neck as well as the head. Words such as "ache" and "pain" may not even begin to capture the discomfort you feel as a result of migraine.

"Instead, in or around your head you may experience pressure, fullness, tightness, heaviness, thickness, numbness or soreness, or you may have swelling, burning, buzzing, vibrating,..."

"You may have feelings suggestive more of lack of calrity than discomfort, such as cloudiness, dullness, fogginess or fuzzy-headedness."

"Vision may simply be blurred, confused, difficult to focus, shaky or distorted in a nonspecific way that is difficult to describe."

"When vestibular function is disturbed by migraine, it may be felt as unsteadiness, loss of equilibrium ("like just getting off a boat"), being off-balance, veering, swaying, falling, rocking, vertigo (a spinning sensation) - or just vague, nonspecific dizziness, lightheadedness or wooziness."

"Cognitive symptoms of migraine range from common and non-specific - intermittent trouble concentrating, spaciness, forgetfulness, difficulty finding words, not being able to think right - to unusual and profound. For many people, migraine-rleated difficulty in concentrating is even more functionally disabling than headache, especially on the job."

I would definitely see a neurologist. The specialize in migraines and also other diseases which can cause these types of things.

Cory

Closed Thread