It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
(male)

Deano9512 HB User
MRSA & Neurology

Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

My Dad is very ill and i'm interested to know if there is any link between MRSA and any Neurological disorders. whilst I am in the process of researching this I would be eternally gratefull for any help.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: MRSA & Neurology

More details would be helpful. MRSA is very persistent and invasive but I'm wondering what kind of neuro problems you're referring to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

Deano9512 HB User
Re: MRSA & Neurology

Problem i have with this is the doctors don't even know, and the lack of knowledge within medcine is proving difficult, I know MRSA is invassive but what i want to understand is, in general is it restricted to an area of the body when contracted or is it in the blood and effects any part of the body. that is what i understand.

As for more info on Neurologic condition, i'm trying to establish this.

Many thanx

Old 09-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

My Nan has MRSA in her sputum (phlegm on lungs) which is causing re-occuring chest infections and regular bouts of illnesses.

From what I understand, MRSA is not dangerous unless it enters your blood. MRSA can be cured providing the right antibiotic is found that MRSA is not resistant too. The problem with MRSA is that it is resistant to most Antibiotics and because of this, the infected person can become quite ill by the time the correct Antibiotic has been found.

I would contact the doctor and tell them you want a referral to a infectious disease specalist for your dad and also as much advice as possible. Also phone the hospital and be transferred to the infectious disease specalist area and there should be a nurse, doctor or someone there who can help you.

If your dad starts developing open wounds or sores then take him straight to the doctor. Anything worrys you, contact the GP.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

angeleyes0906 HB User

MRSA is a resistant strain of staph. Usually if caught early it is highly treatable with quinalins or sulfa drugs. It has been known to become septic and requires IV intervention if this is diagnoised. there is also a nasal spray available containing bactrim that has helped.

Not knowing what you mean about neuro effects, I hesitate to address until more facts are known. As a very general statement, Ive not known of MRSA causeing neuro problems but that doesn't mean in couldn't happen I suppose.

A culture and sensativity would be a good starting point and a blood test, possibly a cbc to see if infection is going on. Defenatley talk to your local doctor or urgent care. Most skin presentations start as red pimple like lession and grow into open ulcers, only to heal and appear elsewhere, it usually is highly contagious by direct contact with the drainage. Use good hand washing tech, and avoid drinking or eating out of unsterilized dishes and eating utinsils. IE hot soapy water or dish washer.

Good luck
angeleyes

Old 09-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

my daughter had MRSA in the summer. infectious disease dr. treated her . atibiotics for the lesion, her under arms, nasal passages and oral antibiotics. she told her it could come back in 6 mos. now she is seeing black spots . went to the eye dr. and had a couple of tests done. he said it could be a certain type of migraine though she doesn't get headaches. now i'm wondering if this could be an after effect of MRSA. ????????

Closed Thread