It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2001, 04:33 PM   #1

kimber27 HB User
Question epileptologist vs. neurologists

i have always gone to a neurologist for my seizure disorder (that i have had for 21 yrs now). i dont seem to be getting many answers from him about the disorder. i dont have epilespy, but i do have seizures. all he has been able to tell me is that it is an idiopathic disorder (there is no reason for me to be having seizures but i do). i have never had any seizure activities show up on any test that has been taken. i have tried to switch neurologists but since the one i am going to is supposed to be the best in ohio none of them will attempt to say anything else and tell me it would be best to stick with him. i have never tried an epileptologist. my question is do they deal with all seizure cases even ones that are not considered epileptic? and what do they do differently than a neurologist?

kimber

Old 12-31-2001, 07:07 AM   #2

Labs-R-4-Me HB User
You should go to the epileptologist. Your current neurologist is really confusing you. You should know that epilepsy and seizure disorder mean the same thing. Epilepsy means you have had 2 seizures (and I don't think they even take into account if special circumstances induced them) as it reflects one has low seizure threshold.

I went to a neuro that many people thought walked on water and he said he couldn't find a reason nor capture anything to explain or show seizures. My next doctor thought what ever my last doctor said must be right, though she did take a lot of MRIs.

After having 2 bad grand mals in one day a nurse got me into a good epileptologist who had a MRI done and I was quickly diagnosed with Mesial Temporal Lobe Screlosis (screlosis of the hippocampus) and 2 tumors in my pituitary gland. She could clearly show it to me on the MRI. I don't know how the other doctors missed it.. maybe they read their own MRIs, whereas she had the radiologist do it(?). Regardless she put me on medication that was better for it and maybe in the long run I'll have fewer, maybe even stop.

Maybe your doctor thinks they are induced by a irregular heart beat, psydos, or faints that mimic a sz, but if he/she is medicating you or calling them sz you have the big 'E'. It doesnt' matter if the problem is in your head (no pun intended - or elsewhere).

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2002, 06:52 PM   #3

Rey HB User
Wink

Kimber,

I've been followed by an epileptologist fot the past 20 years. In many cases, I'm sure the extra credentials aren't necessary, but given the fact that you've not recieved much in the way of answers, I'd head for one. He also gives my husband and I all the time we need. That's one thing mine does: he teaches, or has a staff that DOES. Not to say a neurologist can't do the same; guess much of it depends on the relationship you have with the doc, too.

There are things that make an epileptologist differ from an neurologist; he is a neurologist who SPECIALIZES in epilepsy, in many cases there is a research component, a teaching component, and possibly a publishing componenet. Mine is affiliated with a large medical center. I think many of them are MDs with PhDs in another area of science.

I have an article about one that I've saved; let me try to find it:
[url="http://my.*****.com/content/article/3197.357"]http://my.*****.com/content/article/3197.357[/url]

Hope this helps!

Annie

Closed Thread