It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

altsax2003 HB User
Should I see a Neurologist

Hello Everyone,

10 years ago I had very massive headaches and went to docs for months trying to figure out what they were. Finally after all tests came back normal they said it had to be pseudotumor cerebri and did 2 spinal taps and the results came back that the fluid or pressure was like 42 and it should be around 20. While doing all of these tests, they did an EEG and found that I have epilepsy although I have never had a seizure. My mom also has epilepsy and has the big grand mal seizures. Both of us have to have a sleep deprived EEG though for it to show up. My neurologist at the time didn't put me on meds for it though because I had never had a seizure and I was 12 years old.

About 4 years later, I started have numbness in my arms once a week or so followed by an extremely bad headache and tiredness. After another EEG, they compared to the one from a few years back and said I had epilepsy and it was probably some sort of mild seizure that I was having with the numbness. I was placed on Zonegran and took it for a couple of years (2-3) plus went to see my neurologist for annual EEG's.

About 2 years later, I developed ITP and was told to stop taking the Zonegran because it could be adding to the problem. ITP is where your blood platette count is too low because of various causes. Turned out that Zonegran wasn't causing it and a year later had my spleen out to put the ITP into remission.

I havn't seen the neurologist since I stopped taking the Zonegran. The numbness stopped once I started on the Zonegran and didn't come back when I stopped. I am just afraid that I am going to cause a big accident if I have a seizure in the middle of the road or something.

Also, I have tremors and the doc said that it was probably an essential tremor. It is only bad when I get nervous, or anxious, or stressed. When I eat my silverware shakes or my pen shakes in my hand but it is controllable (for now). This was about 4 years ago that I was diagnosed with the essential tremors.

I have been meaning to go to a neurologist for some time now just to see if everything is ok but have not had the time with various other medical things going on (i.e. ITP, stress fracture in my foot). Do ya'll know of a good neurologist in the Houston/Clear Lake area? Do ya'll think I should go to one to be under his care? My old neurologist was a pediatric one at UTMB in Galveston and couldn't see me any more after I turned 18.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User
Re: Should I see a Neurologist

You could contact your old neurologist ask him for a referral, he probably knows someone in your area. Otherwise, would contact the people at Baylor med school - very strong neurology department.. Good Luck!

Closed Thread