It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
how far to your neurologist

The nearest neurologist in my area is approx 25 miles which is no problem. However, they will not accept my insurance & traveling 100 mile round trip or more is a little much for me since I am a senior. I'm just curious what your situation is regarding your neurologist? I'm finding it hard to accept the local dr's will not accept my insurance. It isn't an HMO & no one else seems to have a problem with it. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: how far to your neurologist

Mine is in town, so the city bus system works.

IF, and thats a huge if mind you; IF I needed to change clinics to one in the Metro, Medicare would pick up the tab for medical transit to and from Dr visits. I found that out through other people who need that type of transit due to being chair bound. They told me I do not need to be chair bound to use the benefit. Being the office is over 65 miles away, and I can't drive, I NEED that transit if I were to switch offices.

Thats something to consider if you have SocSec and need transit. Don't worry if it is only 10 miles. Medical visits are covered transportation expenses.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

My neuro is 15 minutes away, and I'm still not driving YET, but I will be in a month. I wish I would have known the following info months ago....what I just found out is that if I need any services at the hospital (i.e. testing or additional cognitive therapy), my daughter will not have to drive me anymore and it has nothing to do with health insurance. The hospital will provide a free van shuttle to drive me to and from the hospital - and I don't need to be declared "disabled". I only found this out at my last EEG when the technician learned that I was walking the three miles home, as I didn't have a ride.

Sammi, perhaps you can switch over to a neurologist that has his office in a hospital near your home. If your local hospital provides a free shuttle service similiar to what I listed here then you're all set, but you have to do your homework first.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your replies. I live in rural area, no transportation, no hospitals. Not on medicare yet but if I was I'd still be responsible for my own transportation. I don't know why I live here other than born here & never got out. Thanks again & good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I somewhat understand that Sammi. I grew up in a farming district, first time I moved out on my own it was to the down town metro. Talk about a shock. I moved again, this time the city is more to my liking. I am just not a city person, but I need the bus for transit. I'd rather be in the sticks than in downtown Chicago; just my personality.

--Travis

Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
(female)

valeriedl HB User

It's about a 45 minute drive to my neuro. I live outside of Pittsburgh PA, and when I had my first sez I was taken to a hospital there (where I stayed for 6 weeks).

I think there are neuros closer to me, but that's where the ones are that started with me, plus it is a teaching hospital so I get different peoples ideas on different things that might work with me.

I can't drive but luckily I have family very close that drive me. I always make sure that I have someone go with me into the neuro with me because my memory is horrible. There are some questions that he will ask and I won't remember the answer to. Other times he will tell me things and I'll forget them.

I've become I pretty good note taker and try to write just about everything down when I go. That way between the person that I am there with and my notes hopefully we will remember all of it!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you. That must have been awful being in the hospital for 6 weeks. I'm also a note taker. I write everything down.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

my epi is in dallas. i go to college in dallas. so when im up there for school its about a 30 min drive. when im home for summer/christmas break or something its a 4 hr drive. but hes really good so its worth it.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
(female)

aussie308 HB User

My neuro is approx. 125 miles away. I live in a very small area and the closest one is 35 miles away. I tried him amd several others within a 60 mile range with totally unsatisfactory results. Finally called a doctor finding agency and got the name of the one I see now. The drive is a pain and expensive with gas prices like they are but I would not go to anyone else. I've been with him over 3 years and will stay as long as possible.

Closed Thread