It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
(female)

Sapphire-Kitty HB User
Should I tell my neurologist?

I saw him about 2 weeks ago, and I told him a bunch of the physical symptoms that I am having. He told me I probably either have myoclonus or RLS, so he started me on RLS meds. He said for most people, they notice a change within the first two or three days, but I have been on it two weeks with no change. He told me I can go up to 3 pills daily, so I am at 2, and, as I said, there is no change. I have to call him back in a few weeks to tell him my results. He also took blood, and I have been waiting for the those results too.

Anyways, I have been having some metal stuff going on too. I have been on meds for depression and OCD for two years, which is about when my mental symptoms began to get worse. The closest I can come to describing the mental stuff is having what I imagine would be something like dyslexia, though I have never been diagnosed as dyslexic, so I have no idea.

Are there any dyslexic type symptoms that can partner with myoclonus? Should I tell him the mental stuff, or is it just something totally random? I sometimes think it is me being me, or maybe it's the meds or something.

Any advice would be helpful

P.S. Did I post this on the right board?

Last edited by Sapphire-Kitty; 12-18-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Should I tell my neurologist?

just what was the name of the med he started you on for the symptoms? some meds,espescially like the anti seizure meds that are used alot for neuro types of symptoms can cause alot of side effects. been there done that one,alot. other meds can also cause certain side effects too.

if things don't appear to be getting any better,i really would ask about just getting a full spinal MRI done,with a contrast agent,it just helps to highlight certain areas that do not always show well on MRI. tho alot of people do suffer from RLS,there can also be an actual spinal related cause too for what you are experiencing that should just be ruled out or in at some point. please let me know how things are going. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Since this is all just sort of a shot in the dark for the doctor trying you on things to see if they work so you need to tell your doctor exactly what you think and feel. Everyone is different so you need to tell your doctor exactly what you feel and let him decide what to do next. The RLS meds did nothing for my husband but antianxiety meds such as Valium worked wonders so like I say everyone is different and so changing meds might be what you need or not.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

Sapphire-Kitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
just what was the name of the med he started you on for the symptoms? some meds,espescially like the anti seizure meds that are used alot for neuro types of symptoms can cause alot of side effects. been there done that one,alot. other meds can also cause certain side effects too.

if things don't appear to be getting any better,i really would ask about just getting a full spinal MRI done,with a contrast agent,it just helps to highlight certain areas that do not always show well on MRI. tho alot of people do suffer from RLS,there can also be an actual spinal related cause too for what you are experiencing that should just be ruled out or in at some point. please let me know how things are going. Marcia

He started me on Requip XL. Two 2mg pills a day (I think it is 2mg).

The other meds I am on are risperdal, benzotropine, lamictal, mirtazapine, and sertraline

Last edited by Sapphire-Kitty; 12-18-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would most definitely tell him about your mental type symptoms(mostly any real changes or worsening of existing symptoms while taking any of this stuff). considering what you have been placed on,there could be a big explanation there just in that alone. if you were also taking any of these meds ALONG with any other meds you may have been taking for your other conditons,you really could have some major symptoms and alot of mental issues too. they all effect the brain chemistry in their very own ways,so anything is indeed possible when you start mixing some of them togehter,even when your doc is aware of this too,there can just be some at times,major side effects. its the nature of your own individual physiology along with having this stuff added to the mix that can create alot of mental symptoms. my son went thru this too.

just exactly when did that RLS stuff start? was it at all in connection with either starting or stopping ANY meds at all if you can think back to the begining? marcia

Old 12-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

when symptoms

Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
(female)

Sapphire-Kitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
i would most definitely tell him about your mental type symptoms(mostly any real changes or worsening of existing symptoms while taking any of this stuff). considering what you have been placed on,there could be a big explanation there just in that alone. if you were also taking any of these meds ALONG with any other meds you may have been taking for your other conditons,you really could have some major symptoms and alot of mental issues too. they all effect the brain chemistry in their very own ways,so anything is indeed possible when you start mixing some of them togehter,even when your doc is aware of this too,there can just be some at times,major side effects. its the nature of your own individual physiology along with having this stuff added to the mix that can create alot of mental symptoms. my son went thru this too.

just exactly when did that RLS stuff start? was it at all in connection with either starting or stopping ANY meds at all if you can think back to the begining? marcia
I first noticed the symptoms for RLS when I was about 11 or 12, but I wasn't placed on meds for depression and OCD until I was 16

Last edited by Sapphire-Kitty; 12-19-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Adding somethings

Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

just so you know,when either going onto or off of these types of meds and some others too,you can have a very much enhanced type of RLS symptoms appear for certain reasons.
but given the fact that this actually started so very early on for you,i really would ask about getting that MRI on your spine. there are just so many different types of congenital defects that we are born with that can be within the spine or the spinal cord itself that could be causing the types of symptoms you are having. it just needs to be looked at as a potential trigger area,then ruled in or out. at least you will know for certain one way or another ya know? once this particular area simply gets looked at,the next steps would kind of be dictated by that too. its just a possible area of involvement that could be responsible(or partly responsible anyways) for symptoms you are having. i just really would push for this if i were you. they can also scan your brain too while you are having this spinal done. they just have to add it to the order. its just another possible area that needs looking into for various reasons. at least you will KNOW for certain either way if these areas are somehow involved in your ongoing symptoms. once you establish this,it just allows you to move onto the next step. this really is what i would do if i were in your current posistion. good luck and please keep us posted,Marcia

Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
(female)

Sapphire-Kitty HB User
Magnesium

This may be kinda random, but what is a good brand of magnesium supplements? What should I look for?

How much will a MRI cost?

-Tuck

Last edited by Sapphire-Kitty; 12-20-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Closed Thread