It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

pat1959 HB User
Should I see a Neurologist?

For the past three years, after a knee injury, I have muscles spasms all over my body at different times. Mostly in my calfs and feet. Sometimes cramping in the feet, calf, and entire leg. The cramps wake me up from my sleep. Some days my legs ache. My doctor check my blood and everything is ok. Should I go see a neurologist? My GP doctor says I have some form of neuropathy even though my nerve conducting test came out fine. Another symptom is a strange pain in the back right side of my head. It is not severe almost like a soreness that appears periodically.

Last edited by pat1959; 02-26-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Remembered another symptom

Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
(male)

pices312 HB User
Re: Should I see a Neurologist?

You should try to get an MRI to locate the source of the neuropathy. A neurologist could also order those tests.

Last edited by pices312; 02-25-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
(female)

pat1959 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1959 View Post
For the past three years, after a knee injury, I have muscles spasms all over my body at different times. Mostly in my calfs and feet. Sometimes cramping in the feet, calf, and entire leg. The cramps wake me up from my sleep. Some days my legs ache. My doctor check my blood and everything is ok. Should I go see a neurologist? My GP doctor says I have some form of neuropathy even though my nerve conducting test came out fine.
Thank you Pices312 for responding to my question.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

cream9518 HB User

I have had all test necessary for the burning, numbness in legs and lower back (mris, exrays, blood test, blood clots in legs, etc.) and a skin biopsy which I finally was diagnosed with polyneuropathy. It is a diffuse neuropathy that affects all the nerves. Since I am not a diabetic and the neurologist cannot find the cause for my symptoms it is called idiopathic neuropathy. Have tried all medis and lyrica seems to help a little. I am now trying the ReBuilder stimulator for two months and hope this will relieve me of some of the pain. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

pat1959 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream9518 View Post
I have had all test necessary for the burning, numbness in legs and lower back (mris, exrays, blood test, blood clots in legs, etc.) and a skin biopsy which I finally was diagnosed with polyneuropathy. It is a diffuse neuropathy that affects all the nerves. Since I am not a diabetic and the neurologist cannot find the cause for my symptoms it is called idiopathic neuropathy. Have tried all medis and lyrica seems to help a little. I am now trying the ReBuilder stimulator for two months and hope this will relieve me of some of the pain. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing cream9518. I have considered trying the Rebuilder myself. Let me know how it works out for you.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

cream9518 HB User

Dear Pat, I have been on the rebuilder for two months and with no desireable results. Have been on chat line with my advocates and they advise me that it will take a few months to get some results and don't give up, it will be worth it. Just want to feel myself again and being an octogenrian dont have to much time left on this earth.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi Pat, your GP should be reffering you to neuro who is experienced in this field to do further testing to try to find the source of your problems, a nerve conduction is only usefull to reveal damage in larger nerve fibers, it shows any degeneration of the myelin sheath or the axon of the large nerves, seeing that is ok, an Electromyography (EMG) would be usefull next as it can show the amount of electrical activity present when muscles are at rest and when they contract, an EMG tests can help differentiate between muscle and nerve disorders, perhaps a neuro may request an MRI as well and do further blood testing, best leaving it to the experts.

best of luck anyway
Aussie

Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

pat1959 HB User
Cool Re: Should I see a Neurologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
Hi Pat, your GP should be reffering you to neuro who is experienced in this field to do further testing to try to find the source of your problems, a nerve conduction is only usefull to reveal damage in larger nerve fibers, it shows any degeneration of the myelin sheath or the axon of the large nerves, seeing that is ok, an Electromyography (EMG) would be usefull next as it can show the amount of electrical activity present when muscles are at rest and when they contract, an EMG tests can help differentiate between muscle and nerve disorders, perhaps a neuro may request an MRI as well and do further blood testing, best leaving it to the experts.

best of luck anyway
Aussie
Thank you Aussie100 for your advice. I did not know about the EMG test. I also am in the military and served in Iraq being exposed to alot of chemicals, so this neuropathy could be from anything.

Closed Thread