It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

beth1954 HB User
Neurologist or Neurosurgeon???

I found an old thread with this same title, but I didn't really get the answer that I wanted.
I have two bulging disks in my cervical area. C-5, C-6. I have a bad "pinch" on the left side of my neck/shoulder that doesn't hurt 24/7, just with certain movements of my neck. Sometimes though, my entire neck hurts. More muscular....maybe because of holding my head in a certain way because of the pinch.....I don't know.
I have been to a pain management doctor. I have had 3 of the steroid shots, and 2 blocks. Nothing has worked at all. He now wants to burn that nerve. I'm not confident in this doctor anymore.
I want a second opinion....do I got to a neurologist or a neurosurgeon? From what I understand, my condition is probably not something that would require surgery at this point. I also have a arachnoid cyst on my spine, but that is not causing any problems now. I don't know what direction to go next. I'm stalling on the nerve burn for now.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: Neurologist or Neurosurgeon???

I would see a neurosurgeon since they really know what they are looking at when they see your MRI studies. They don't always operate on every patient, especially the good ones won't unless they can actually make things better for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Spine surgeons come in two types, orthopedic and neurosurgeon. I see a neurosurgeon but another sees and loves her orthopedic spine surgeon. But we both agree that you get the best doc you can find.....that will determine your outcome more than anything else.

But I also saw a neurologist to help me decide if surgery was necessary and to monitor me until I needed it. I had one local spine surgeon telling me no surgery and one neurosurgeon saying yes..again local. So I went to her and had her evaluate all my tests and advise me. Since she didn't do surgery, it was a neutral but well informed opinion. She said surgery and then found me the best surgeon in my geographical area and got me in fairly quickly too. A neurologist's report is taken more seriously than just a primary doc's.

So you could do either. The neurologists know who is good and who isn't so it might be worth seeing one just to find out who the best doc is in your area or around the area that you can travel to.

gentle hugs............Jenny

Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1954 View Post
I found an old thread with this same title, but I didn't really get the answer that I wanted.
I have two bulging disks in my cervical area. C-5, C-6. I have a bad "pinch" on the left side of my neck/shoulder that doesn't hurt 24/7, just with certain movements of my neck. Sometimes though, my entire neck hurts. More muscular....maybe because of holding my head in a certain way because of the pinch.....I don't know.
I have been to a pain management doctor. I have had 3 of the steroid shots, and 2 blocks. Nothing has worked at all. He now wants to burn that nerve. I'm not confident in this doctor anymore.
I want a second opinion....do I got to a neurologist or a neurosurgeon? From what I understand, my condition is probably not something that would require surgery at this point. I also have a arachnoid cyst on my spine, but that is not causing any problems now. I don't know what direction to go next. I'm stalling on the nerve burn for now.
Hello, I had a double neck fusion done 7 months ago and went to a neurosurgeon and I think that is who you should go to as well with these problems. As for the nerve burning, I'm glad you have decided against it for now hon......my pain doc talked to me about that too and I have decided for now NOT to have that done. I am going to do the trigger points first and go from there..

Closed Thread