It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
(male)

slick50 HB User
Cervical disc degeneration causing pins & needles all over??

I've had a few posts lately regarding pins & needles, tingling and numbness. As previously stated, MRI's, CT scans etc. have indiciated "no serious problems." It was determined that I have degenerative cervical discs and slight bulging.
Here is my question. Is it possible for my symptoms (occuring all over the body) to come from the cervical disc problem? Could one problem area impact the entire body?
Lately my neck feels like it is "on fire." It really gets bad when I am not focusing on my posture. If my head tilts forward too much or if I'm typing too long on the computer, this "burning" sensation is much more intense. Could this also be related to the "pins & needles," etc.??

Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Cervical disc degeneration causing pins & needles all over??

A cervical problem can certainly cause problems all over the body. I've had it.

You can have a herniated disk or bone spurs from arthritis or a combination of them and if they start pressing on the spinal cord, you can get problems anywhere below that level. My worst area was at C6 and I had numb toes, tingling in both legs, stiff leg muscles that made it hard to walk(took baby steps at times), numbness in my hands, dropped things all the time, weakness in my arm muscles....all sorts of weird things would happen. It was like my body was slowly going numb from the neck down.....and it was. Pressure on the spinal cord in the neck can eventually lead to paralysis if not fixed. Luckily, the cord can take lots of pressure and my first MRI showed it had been compressed down to half the normal size.

You sound like you are in the early stages of cervical spondlylosis(fancy word for arthritis) with cord compression. It will have to watched and you can watch for increasing signs of muscles not working right to guide you on when you need to seek help. Since the surgery for this carries a risk of paralysis too, they don't do anything until it is really necessary.

And in case you think any kind of cervical spine problem has to have lots of pain with it....it doesn't. I had no pain. It only affected my spinal cord and not the spinal nerves where all the pain comes from.

Come on down to the Spinal Cord Disorders board and talk to some of the folks there.

hugs.........Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
bnmagbe (12-12-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
(male)

slick50 HB User

Thanks Jenny for the great information. I'm wondering what medications(if any) you found helpful.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Depending on how much arthritis you have in your neck, anti-inflammatories are probably the best. Drugs like ibuprofen help with pain and inflammation. Or Naproxen. And NSAID. They can do cortisone shots into the area of you get a specific area that gets bad.

But basically, you are trying to slow arthritis and not much works but NSAIDs do the best job right now.

A really good pillow for your bed helps too. And you can pick up a neck collar at any drug store. When you having a lot of symptoms, use it to rest your neck. If you get any muscle spasms in your shoulders, use those wraps that heat the area...helps a lot.

And if you start to get pain, then it's time to ask your doc for something stronger.

good luck and hugs.........Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
slick50 (12-07-2010)
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

blueskygirl HB User

I have this issue also. I find water therapy...mild exercise and treading water...very helpful. The theracane is also wonderful for relieving trigger point pain, which makes the neck inflammation worse.

Closed Thread